working on a bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
well ive been promising myself to make a bedroll for some time now and well this week it should be finished (waiting on a second wool blanket)
must admit i am cheating here as i am not really sowing it myself i am using a belgian army bivi bag (practically a bedroll in itself) with the idea of making a tube with army wool blankets which i will get inside with a cotton sleeping bag liner to reduced any potential itchyness. Anyone done this before as i am wondering what kind of insulation level it would be compared with a modern sleeping bag (i suppose testing it is the only real way forward) I even have a foam mat rolled into the base the whole thing will roll up under my pack (and before the lightweighters get on my back i dont care about the weight of it so much as my pack is light and i am built like an ox :D)

ill put some pics up when its done

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I made this one a few months ago mate i used two pieces of waterproof army canvas a dutch foam roll and a dutch wool blanket, iv used it down to about 6ish degrees and iv been fine didnt wake once. It is rather large tho so i only use it if im parked close by. I attached a 58 patt style belt and wore it around my waist umder my pack and its actualy quite comfy
c1238411-a035-9fd1.jpg
c1238405-a053-7c13.jpg
c1238419-a06c-1026.jpg
c1238431-a094-79dd.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
cool i got my second blanket today so ill be off to the seamstress this week not sure whether i am going for a single wool wrap or doubling it over yet as the weight of the new cream blanket is a lot more than the grey one i have ..

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Maybe it would be a good idea to try the layouts you are considering by pinning the blankets using blanket pins. Find the best layout and then get it sewn.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Right mission accomplished, got my mum to do the machining but basically what you see is
a Belgian army bivi bag (£6.50)
An army blanket cream one (£13.00)
and a cotton sleeping bag liner (£8.00)

the blanket was folded cut and stitched into a tube that fits inside the bivi cotton liner inside this to prevent itchyness also in the roll is a foam mat which is removeable if i fancy using a thicker one etc.

For you weight conscious this isnt what you call lightweight but i like it, it weighs in at 2.8kg for the mat,bivi,blanket and liner combined.
rolled up its about 9 inches thick
foldedbivi.jpg

heres the separate items (all removeable for individual washing rather than sown together)
openedupbivi.jpg

ready to sleep in the top flap section will accomodate a folded coat to make the pillow
rolledoutbivi.jpg

cheers...just need some time out now to try it to see how warm it will be

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Looks good, always nice to see people putting things like this together themselves!

Am I right in thinking a bedroll then is pretty much 'all your sleeping kit in one, kept rolled together as one' as in, being kept so that all you need to do is unroll it and get in?

Do you find that you need a bivvy bag/canvas with a sleeve for holding the sleeping mat in place, to stop it from shifting about?

Looks hefty but handy. I wonder if I could put one together with a poncho liner or similar...hmm...

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
yep your right about the bedroll kind of like a cowboy roll or aussie swag bag all stays as one you just unroll and get in.

The mat i use us pretty much the same size as the bivvy bag so it doesnt move and its directly under me (a pocket for it to go in would be even better but i was using off the shelf gear for mine.

Looks good, always nice to see people putting things like this together themselves!

Am I right in thinking a bedroll then is pretty much 'all your sleeping kit in one, kept rolled together as one' as in, being kept so that all you need to do is unroll it and get in?

Do you find that you need a bivvy bag/canvas with a sleeve for holding the sleeping mat in place, to stop it from shifting about?

Looks hefty but handy. I wonder if I could put one together with a poncho liner or similar...hmm...

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Cool, cheers for the heads up. I remember hearing something about Dutch army bivvies having a sleeve in them that was meant to fit a roll mat inside, although then I guess I would need to find one to fit, probably Dutch too.

Guess I need to figure out who has a big strong sewing machine in my neck of the woods :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE