Woolpower 400 and 600 jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have a 400 as well as a few other 200 bits, fab bits of kit, not ideal as an outer layer as they snag easily but great.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
I own both, the 600 is a little heavy but very warm in the winter. The 400 gets more usage because it is more useful outside winter. I also own the vest in 400, i like that one when i'm out in the woods. It layers great with other things.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
That’s a good tip I forgot they stag easy so midlayer only. Mine the 200 was full of clicks

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I own both, the 600 is a little heavy but very warm in the winter. The 400 gets more usage because it is more useful outside winter. I also own the vest in 400, i like that one when i'm out in the woods. It layers great with other things.
Looks like the 400 would be a better option then for me, thanks

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Used a 400 and 200 for about 15 years. They’re quite pricey now, my new set cost
twice as much as the original - that can’t be all down to inflation!
Like everything it’s up to you if you want to spend the money. I don’t think I’ll use my new set out in the woods - I have a mil surplus merino base layer and issue woolly pulley which gives virtually the same function and warmth. The base layer was about £20 and the jumper £2 from the carboot sale.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Used a 400 and 200 for about 15 years. They’re quite pricey now, my new set cost
twice as much as the original - that can’t be all down to inflation!
Like everything it’s up to you if you want to spend the money. I don’t think I’ll use my new set out in the woods - I have a mil surplus merino base layer and issue woolly pulley which gives virtually the same function and warmth. The base layer was about £20 and the jumper £2 from the carboot sale.
Never found a surplus woolly pulley that I've not wanted to rip off within 10 mins of putting it on, please tell me there's one out there

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've got a 400 and it is brilliant when one is 'living' outdoors, rather than just 'out for the day'. I also learned that, unless you are in full-on winter conditions on the Cairngorm plateau and wearing a shell layer on top, even the 400 can be very warm; however, I do run hot. There are plenty of viable alternatives out there: Varusteleka make a very good Merino wool hoodie that, for me thus far, has not lost its shape in the way that the Woolpower 400 has. The one thing in the 400-weight range that I find really, really useful and which never leaves my pack is the gilet: it keeps your body warm but still affords you a bit of freedom to wave your arms about.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Never found a surplus woolly pulley that I've not wanted to rip off within 10 mins of putting it on, please tell me there's one out there
Ha, I’ve been wearing them for the last 30 years, maybe you get used to a bit of itch.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Thanks all !
After remembering it clicks easy and reading all the above I have dug out my old JHW and may buy the Woolpower gilet in the future instead. Saved some money at least.

Reactions: Limaed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE