Woolly Pully vs Fleece vs Ranger Shirt as Mid-Layer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackorion

Sep 8, 2021
Exeter
Hey all,

So I do a lot of bat survey work which means I'm often out at night and not always moving around much, so it can get a bit chilly. Last few weeks I've been wearing a merino wool baselayer under a light fleece with a Swanndri Ranger Extreme on top, and I've just bought a s/h Bushshirt which is great as it adds a little rear end and thigh warmth too!

but I'm looking for a mid layer that's a bit more toasty than my berghaus microfleece - I also have the Swanndri Ranger shirt (non-extreme) which I could throw on under the bushshirt, but that feels like it might be a bit bulky, so I was thinking about a wooly pulley or something similar to wear underneath... any thoughts? There's not normally much action other than walking around a bit so getting too warm is not really a problem, but I need to move around quite easily and so getting too bulky is a problem

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
You could take a look at the lightweight insulation layers made by Patagonia or Arcteryx - 100/200 wt fleeces, down 'sweaters', artificial fibre versions of same. Many options there as starting points. Haglofs, Helly Hansen etc, etc offer more affordable options.

If you are looking for a woolie, the sweaters made of merino and possum - same as the Mears beanies - are totally excellent (comfortable, light, wicky). Might have to import from NZ directly.

In fact the old adage, if you have cold feet put a hat on, might suit you. A decent light and comfy wool hat, might be just what you are looking for.

Last edited:

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
As above, wear a hat / cap to reduce heat loss.You want to trap air inside to provide warmth so a thicker jumper would help .Also you want to make it windproof otherwise the hot air can get 'blown out' so a thin pertex type shell could be used or combine the 2 with say a lightweight army thermal smock top (which I rate) & they also have a longer back .

e.g https://www.cadetdirect.com/british-army-lightweight-thermal-smock-light-olive

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I have a inexpensive fleece lined check shirt, Rydale clothing I think, or a thinner Ridgeline fleece shirt. I wear either as a mid layer under my Swandri on cold night out.
The Ridgeline one is quite smart looking, should I accidentally find myself in a hostelry on the way home.

Pertex wind shirts are just great to have in a pocket pretty much anywhere.

jackorion

Sep 8, 2021
Exeter
Thanks guys - always have a wooly hat and a snood scarf on as well! I have a Rab pile jacket but the zip has broken which would otherwise be perfect, might have to stump up for another one or see if I can work out a way to fix it - my wife's normally really handy at repairing clothes but the construction of the jacket makes it a bit of a job to replace the zip according to her...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks guys - always have a wooly hat and a snood scarf on as well! I have a Rab pile jacket but the zip has broken which would otherwise be perfect, might have to stump up for another one or see if I can work out a way to fix it - my wife's normally really handy at repairing clothes but the construction of the jacket makes it a bit of a job to replace the zip according to her...
Alpkit stores have repair services and they repair other brands too. Contact your nearest store. They'll certainly be able to replace a broken zip.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm a bit fan of a good woollie pully. I was bought one by my parents about 18 to 20 yo. It came from a Greek island and was full of natural oils. So densely knitted it was windproof. Very warm and shed snow in a blizzard nicely. Although walking in winter I found I had to dust off the snow as I headed downhill or it would form ice and be a devil to knock off. However it was so insulating if you're in the cold snow just sat on the outside.

If you can find a nice, thick and densely knitted pullover in pure new wool with the natural oils still in. Well I think such a garment is widely underrated.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't think you can beat an old fashioned wooly pully. I stopped buying fleece some time ago for environmental reasons.

Reactions: slowworm

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
A woolly jumper of a suitable thickness would probably be perfect for you, but otherwise a gilet (fleece, Paramo, or synthetic or down filling) might be enough be easier over your current set-up. It adds a lot of warmth without restricting your arms at all.

I’ve also got an Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody, which is amazing and so versatile.

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
wooly jumper would be my choice but the fit must be comfortable to go with what else you are wearing and only you can decide what is a comfy fit. I prefer inset sleeves ( more fitted-easier under coats or other garments. Alternatively raglan sleeves are more roomy but I find they bunch up and are uncomfortable if put a coat on top. Also some wool has more natural stretch and give depending on how it is knitted-again ,personal preferance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE