Woolen Army Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Anyone know where I can get hold of the old style British Army "shirts, itchy"? I've trawled many of the online surplus stores, but all they seem to do it the Soldier 95 norwegian shirts.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The Shirt KF, (I remembered it as Kamel Fur!!) may crop up in surplus stores in UK. Try ebay, although I just had a quick go and had no joy. Dockers shirts come up sometimes on Ebay and they are 100% woolen apart from the nylon reinforcing to the pockets and collar. Good shirts if you can get them.

I think this is one

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Hey! I've got one of those woolen shirts. It's my smoking jacket for when I go outside in the dead of a bitter Canadian winter. :p

What're those army fleeces like? How do they compare to the wooly pully sweater which I'm pretty sure is still being issued as a kit. Warmer? Colder? Obviously the new fleece isn't near as itchy.

Adam

boots12

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2006
West Yorkshire
Just for intrest we had issused to us as sleeping bag liners made of KF so it was twice as itchy, we use to shave the insde of the shirts :aargh4:

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Only go for the old hairy KF shirt if you want your nipples rubbed of! :eek: We used to put plasters over the nips for protection before a speed tab - but maybe we were just wimps! :eek:

The Docker’s shirts are a god buy on e-bay but be careful how you wash them. Mine shrank :( and the nylon backing on the cuffs and pocket tabs has caused them to curl up in a scruffy fashion - I had not planned to be ironing my bushcraft shirts.

My advice - unless you particularly want to be army-barmy :rolleyes: - is to get a Swanni shirt. There bombproof and warm - you won't regret it. :)

Ted W

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My dockers shirts also suffer from the dreaded curly cheese effect! If i remember to lay them flat whilst wet and hang them to dry on a coat hanger, it doesn't seem to be so bad.

I don't care if I look scruffy whilst bushcrafting anyway, so long as I am warm and enjoying myself!!

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Sorry tedw, but that's a definate wimp trait. :nono: I wore them for years, even when doing CFTs, :AR15firin etc. And when am I going to be doing that again? Not in the near future.

It's not about being "army barmy", for me, it's about being warm on a budget, and you have to admit, the shirt, layered with other kit, would fit both.

As for the Swanni shirt - I always thought they were very expensive for what they are. Just MOHO, but I'll have another look at them. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE