Wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I have about 30 wool fleeces i acquired while shearing earlier this year, i was just going to use them for insulation in the attic but now that i've started with this bushcraft lark there might be a better use for them.

Any ideas?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Felting :D
It makes brilliantly warm, showerproof and windproof mitts, hats, boot liners, as well as blankets and jackets :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Cheers guys i'm going to have a bash with both ideas, i like the idea that i lambed the sheep, sheared them, spun the wool and made clothes out of um, would be very cool and a step closer to self sufficiency :D

My sheep are Scottish blackface/Swaledales so the wool is not the greatest quality, the wool from these breeds is really only used for loft insulation.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
They might be considered only fit for loft insulation today, with loads of imported wool available, but before that trade was established, locally produced wool was put to every kind of use, with surprising results. One of the most expensive fabrics in the 17th century was Pennistone weave, which was made from the wool of hill sheep. (Information courtesy of a friend who used to make historically accurate outfits for living history groups.)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Scottish blackface can be as coarse as a very coarse thing indeed........but it makes great rugs and carpets and heavy outer cloaks :)
The fleece has a lot of kemp in it.......that's the smoother hairy fibres, that shed the water from the fleece :) It also makes it as tough as old boots.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It would certainly make a very sound coat, but real felt doesn't need a lining.

Linen under wool is better in our climate though...........and we can get good linen for £7 a metre just now :cool:

Doesn't hang onto the damp the way that cotton does.

cheers,
Toddy

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Toddy said:
Linen under wool is better in our climate though...........and we can get good linen for £7 a metre just now :cool:

Doesn't hang onto the damp the way that cotton does.

A handy & doubtless useful snippet.

I've been pondering possible linings for a wool jacket lately; linen never crossed my mind.

Thank you.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's worth the bother Ian, it really is.

Cotton when damp and sweaty stays that way until you can get heat onto it. Linen wicks away the water asap.
Cotton is wee short thirsty fibres, that's why it makes great towels, but linen is long woody fibres that take a lot of soaking and still don't really want to absorb it.

Latest best deals I know of on the linen are from Ali the Trader, aka, Herts Fabrics.

cheers,
M

p.s. Link
http://www.classhistory.co.uk/Herts%20Fabrics/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=35

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a nice link, thank you.

Would a mix such as this have any virtue, or would it be too 'woolly'?

Oh nice stuff.........but it's 'formal' and fine. The kind of stuff that would make good shirts or a kind of firm lining.
That's the sort of material I'd buy to make my own Autumn or Spring smart jacket from iimmc.
Very good price though :D

cheers,
M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have about 30 wool fleeces i acquired while shearing earlier this year, i was just going to use them for insulation in the attic but now that i've started with this bushcraft lark there might be a better use for them.

Any ideas?
I got some sacks of wool off a farmer, I must say learning to process it was a excellant learn experiance. It was pretty rubbish wool for any form of cloth. The staple was too short and it some really short wiry hairs that looked revolting and made it itchy. however it felted nicely and made lovely windproof stuffing for quilt, I did manage to spin a small amont and made a small quantity of oil-in fabric that was nearly water proof.

I washed the sheep poo out of mine by mostly leaving outside in the rain wrapped in a net curtain. The soil in the drip zone produced very green lushes veggies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE