Wool shirt on a budget?

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Hi folks

I would like a wool lumberjack type shirt, to wear as a top layer, but on a budget, I can't justify Swanni or similar prices, anyone care to share experiences?

Paul

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd try vintage pendleton shirts

ebay or etsy.com often have them

google also has a few hits for retro/vintage shops that should be able to help

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I got a similarly patterned, fleecy lined work shirt off the market for about a tenner, cotton outer buttoned pockets etc. Works a treat and doesn't pick up sawdust like a swanni's weave.

Dave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Army stores still have wool flannel shirts, you can still get them unissued if your a slim sized. I wore them all the time when I was a impoverished student and never found them itchy. Picked up one incredibly good quality one for one of my sons that was from a cancelled / embargoed order for the Iraqi army pre the wars. The material is every bit as good as the Swannis and Bisons so many recommend.

Unfortunatly I have only one that fits me now (still don't ware it as its embarrassingly tight) a last issue hair shirt with a size 19 label. Totally not within the normal sizing range, I've used it as a blanket for a toddler its that big...

ATB

Tom

Monspoonmaker

Mar 15, 2014
Silures
I've had great use from 1951 US army wool shirts from Korean War era. Can pick them up on e bay from £5-£10. Also Rokit have them in from time to time but at a higher cost.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Army stores still have wool flannel shirts, you can still get them unissued if your a slim sized. I wore them all the time when I was a impoverished student and never found them itchy. Picked up one incredibly good quality one for one of my sons that was from a cancelled / embargoed order for the Iraqi army pre the wars. The material is every bit as good as the Swannis and Bisons so many recommend.

Unfortunatly I have only one that fits me now (still don't ware it as its embarrassingly tight) a last issue hair shirt with a size 19 label. Totally not within the normal sizing range, I've used it as a blanket for a toddler its that big..

ATB

Tom

Used to like the old KF shirts, if that the one you mean. Wish I still had one. Cheap and hard wearing

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
My difiiculty is a 46inch chest size, I probably need a 48 and there only appear to be small sizes around....unless my Google Mojo is failing me!........

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
No mate, it's not your goo-fu, i'm after 44"- 46", and have searched a couple of days; keep finding 38", even 36", but rarely much bigger. A few big 'uns from the 'states on the bay, but boy they want dosh for them.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Looks like popping into the local army stores is your best bet then, the more old school the better, or phone them if tha hates wasted journeys. Then again a really good army stores owner has long since lost track of stock....

atb

tom

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
At a glance I thought the thread was about a wool shirt on a badger. That would be a photo.

I get a lot of everyday clothes, including woolens, from military surplus stores. You just have to be diligent in your search.

An even better source, if you don't care for military, is second hand shops. There are some where the stock is in amazing condition. I recently went to one of my regular stops and found an unworn wooly-pully 100% wool for $7.99, a lined oilcloth jacket (very warm and like new) for $6.99, and a mid thigh length leather coat (think Deniro as a wise guy) from a reputable company for $25. Easily 450 - 500 bucks worth of threads for around 45 samolians. The coat got a liberal dose of disinfectant spray, while everything else always gets a cold water wash with detergent and Lysol cleanser for cooties.

The deals are out there. Especially in this disposable society.

I just realized that I'm wearing the sweater right now lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE