Wool picnic rugs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Has anyone got any experience with wool picnic rugs like these:

http://www.pointerproducts.co.uk/al...Path=25_123&osCsid=8b915rajf6c7bvf4lbjb7dqjf4

got a wee polish lavvu for me and SWMBO and we have been trying tae think of something tae use as a groundsheet and we usually just use wool blankets for sleeping so thinking this could make a decent groundsheeth for waterproof and warmth.

are they any good and worth the weight/bulk you reckon?

Hamish

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
We've a few similar ones Hamish but not those exact ones. The wool is indeed wool, but span so thinly as to make it more or less useless for comfort. (Think very thick cotton!) The backing cracks after a few years and they aren't light or compact.

Get an IPK sheet and take your own blankets.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I use a blanket in my tent. it is good insulation in chilly weather.

beachmats are good too

You guy's remind me a lot of my brother and his wife. They actually had there honeymoon in a polish lavvu! I think the central pole was a bit of an issue. Also it leaked, so you might want to treat it with some wax! I dont notice much cold strike in these, but I think the more insulation the better.
But DEFINATELY waterproof it!! If it leaks, then nothing else will matter... Very miserable experience!
Yes. My bro is a bit of a hippy. As is his missus.

Has anyone got any experience with wool picnic rugs like these:

http://www.pointerproducts.co.uk/al...Path=25_123&osCsid=8b915rajf6c7bvf4lbjb7dqjf4

got a wee polish lavvu for me and SWMBO and we have been trying tae think of something tae use as a groundsheet and we usually just use wool blankets for sleeping so thinking this could make a decent groundsheeth for waterproof and warmth.

are they any good and worth the weight/bulk you reckon?

Hamish

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
BTW, anything cheap and disposable will do on the floor...builders tarp and so on. I only mentioned IPK as if you happen across a shop selling them they are usually about £3. The internet is murdering the prices of them! They are designed to last...in 1986 I made an NBC shelter on Salisbury plain (without boardings). On an E&E 5 yrs later I rediscovered it and used the IPK as my shelter sheet. 5 yrs buried and still usable!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE