wool blanket ? good or bad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 24, 2014
shropshire
Hi all

I have got a Czech bed roll that I'm hoping to try out this weekend. Has anyone ever used one. Also wool blankets are they any good. I like old school stuff as well as new so any aadvice wood be appreciated

:D

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I like old school stuff too but with wool blankets especially cheaper ones that ruins things is the itchiness of them. Not so bad if your wrapped up fully clothed but if your sensitive to wool it can be torture skin against wool.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I sometimes use a Czech bedroll which had a blanket inside which was not wool, so that was "relegated" to the dog's groundsheet. Inside the bedroll I have a surplus jungle sleeping bag, bought new for a pittance, and a
double Merino blanket, a lovely and very warm thing, which cost me the princely sum of four quid in a Hospice shop. This is as good and warm a kip as I've had in anything, but you need the car nearby because of the bulk.
It's not that heavy though. I love it to sleep in when I'll be somewhere for more than a couple of days :)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I recently bought a Czech bed roll, outer is supposedly water resistant, the blanket is I think synthetic fibre, and it comes with a very thick and remarkably robust (feels like heavy cotton) liner.

Another forum member said recently, ' kilo for kilo not the best warmth provider ' or along those lines.

I tried it out recently in 3-4 celsius inside a tent, and I was wearing lots of very warm clothing and had a hot water bottle (hoping that would bring ultimate luxury).

I was very disappointed, I will probably never use it again, all weight and no warmth, waste of money as far as I am concerned, it was only £15.00 delivered, now I know why it was so cheap.

I would say that the inner liner\sheet is the best part of it, you could tar it and make a coracle skin with it.

I might (and only might) keep the outer as a bivy bag, I do not know if even that is waterproof\resistant.

Maybe I bought a duffer, but I regret to say it is extremely disappointing.

Sorry for the negative post, but I am being honest.

rorymax

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I find wool blankets excellent, especially Merino ones and the one I backed with waxed cotton to make an "All Weather" blanket/insulated groundsheet.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The first night I spent out in ages I used an old wool blanket only. Me and my mate had a fire nearby and we slept in trenches in our shelter. He had a manky old sleeping bag with no zip and it was the first night just after summer that really got cold. I think it was close to freezing by a few degrees! I was a bit chilly but mostly horrified by the ticks I found in my blanket as I was laying it down and the obvious full moon badgers. But I'd say it done well!

It's an English one from a charity shop, big and yellow and pretty thick. Bit itchy but nothing major. I also found I spent most of the night with it over my face to stop bugs falling/flying into my head.

It's now used as an undersheet on my bed, even after a wash from the trip my wife was a little angry to find some brambles had made their way into her sheets and thus her feet! lol

That's my load from last time, and I think there is 3 cans of beans in that bag.. the rest is beer! :D

dabberty

Tenderfoot
I like my wool blanket :)

@rorymax, i have one of those Czech Bed Rolls as well, and the blanket is not from 100% for sure.
Each person has it's own temperature limit. In mine I stayed warm around +2 celcius.
Here is a small review I made recently, plus halfway the page my experiences with it.
http://dabberty.com/?p=1474

On my 100% wool blanket, I added a zipper, so it can also be used as a sleeping bag in the hammock for example, but still when zipped open fully functional as a normal blanket.
Luckily I don't have any issue's with this itching me, but a friend of mine has this issue. He sowed on 1 side of the wool blanket a very thin fleece flanket / liner, so he can sleep in it as well.

Here a couple of pics of mine:

wool-blanket1.jpg

wool-blanket2.jpg

wool-blanket3.jpg

wool-blanket4.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That zipper is a great idea! I'll see if wifey to do mine like that.. Although mine is a double.. Hmm

Oct 1, 2014
Wicklow
Hi Folks,
Ive been using an american army bag with good old feathers and keeps me toasty,squash it down with a snukpak stuff sack works a treat.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Wool blankets are great - I've never had any problems with cold at all. I use a ground sheet of a g1000 blanket or a Bilmo canvas bedroll - which although I've never seen the Czech I know the Bilmo is far better. Blanket wise I've got a Yugoslavian 100% wool one which is fine for I'd say 2 seasons, a Hudsons bay three and a half point blanket which I'd say is good for threes easily and a hudsons bay six pointer which is great for for (UK conditions of course). I don't think anyone has ever really tried to make blankets out to be warmer or lighter than sleeping bags - the reason I personally use them is to try and replicate a more historical woodsmans kit. While I know it's far from period correct I enjoy using it and the materials it's made from. As for weight - this type of gear will always weigh more, just how it is really. My pack can weight from 12-15 kilos depending on the time of year and where I'm going but I'm young and fit so that pack isn't a problem to me, doesn't justify it really but I can manage it fine. I'm not really a hiker but I've carried it about eight miles with no problems. I wouldn't bother going much further as I like my time spent in camp. We canoe a lot where weight is of little concern for the most part and you cover miles in the canoe quickly and you get to those spots you can't get to any other way. I'm sorry if I've rambled- hope this helped some :).

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I picked up a wool blanket today at the carboot sale. Its army green and has U.S. lettering (about 5 inch high letters) Stamped in the middle of the blanket. It is in really good nic. I paid £4 for it, well pleased with my purchase.

The trouble with wool blankets is that they are fabric - woven and then felted, so that you don't get much thickness of insulation for the weight. There are wool sleeping bags where loose wool filler is used, and that will give a lot more insulation for the weight. It's still a lot of weight though, compared to synthetic fill.
http://www.customwoolenmills.com/wool_shop/cold_country_wool_bedding/wool_sleeping_bags

Where wool fabric still works better than synthetics for me, is in clothing where you can do real work in it under all conditions, and it doesn't melt with sparks from a fire when you get close to dry out. As with wool blankets, though, there's a world of difference between the expensive stuff and the old ex-military stuff.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
The trouble with wool blankets is that they are fabric - woven and then felted, so that you don't get much thickness of insulation for the weight. There are wool sleeping bags where loose wool filler is used, and that will give a lot more insulation for the weight. It's still a lot of weight though, compared to synthetic fill.
http://www.customwoolenmills.com/wool_shop/cold_country_wool_bedding/wool_sleeping_bags

Where wool fabric still works better than synthetics for me, is in clothing where you can do real work in it under all conditions, and it doesn't melt with sparks from a fire when you get close to dry out. As with wool blankets, though, there's a world of difference between the expensive stuff and the old ex-military stuff.

Your link shows Canadian wool to be a better wool?
Wool Yarn

All of our yarn is spun from 100% pure new wool and exotic fiber blends from Western Canada. Canadian wool is noticeably different than other wool - our sheep live in extreme temperatures and so their wool is loftier (more fluffy and bulky) and often of better quality than other wools. To protect the quality of the wool and our environment, we practice minimal processing without the use of harsh chemicals

So The US blanket I bought today could be of a high quality wool 70 - 30% http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310408806801?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Your link shows Canadian wool to be a better wool?
Wool Yarn/QUOTE]

Nope - I just pointed to a handy link to show how loose wool is used in a bag. So far as I know, my Hudson Bay blankets were made in Britain, and those are held in high regard for warmth and wear - but I've no idea where the actual wool came from, for those. I don't have any great belief in advertising, and so I wouldn't get too enthused about claims of where the sheep were raised, from the site I listed to show an example of use of wool fill. I just have one army blanket now, and while it's tightly woven for wear, it isn't anywhere close to a HBC in warmth. The downside of the HBC blankets is the cost compared to military, but lots of people here still regard them as best. Anyway my apologies if I seemed to be promoting Canadian wool!

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
No worries OldJimbo, I was just surprised that Wool from other Countries (Canada) would be of better quality due to local climate and not because of species. But still understanding that English leather was good quality due to our own climate & lack of use of barbed wire. I only bought the blanket to have a go at making clothing for myself. The spark tolerance and price being the main benefits to me and the colour of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE