Wool blanket advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Now the colder weather is here i'm looking to replace the pretty much useless blanket in my car kit.

Any advice on a reasonably priced (it is going to sit in the car after all) decent warm wool blanket please?

Cheers
Mark

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'll keep my eye out thanks.

Are there any other on-line stores you'd recommend i look at please, just in case Endicotts won't post to Greece?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Kev will post anywhere :)

I think the Belgian army blankets are better in some ways - better edge finish, more felted than the "fluffy / rough" Dutch and just as thick.

That said I have both and am happy with both

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Sorry to hijack but I have an Dutch wool blanket from Endicotts. Will washing with fabric softener make it any less scratchy? It's not too bad as is but could do with being a bit softer?

Steve.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never had one but most posts I've seen on the Italian ones comment broadly about the strong smell (mothballs or similar IIRC) that's all but impossible to get rid of. If true, would you really want to keep that in an enclosed space like your car?

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
military mart sometimes do second grade belgian army wool blankets for £6.50 i got one it did have a hole it in it but i stitched it up, bargain for the price...

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
You could pick up a polyester quilt for very little at a charity/thrift store, and that would be a better insulator (and won;t stink of moth balls either)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
You could pick up a polyester quilt for very little at a charity/thrift store, and that would be a better insulator (and won;t stink of moth balls either)

Might be the best option, we have a few polyester blankets from Ikea they're not very warm though, they're currently being used for dog blankets.

Contacted Edicotts to buy one of their Dutch blankets, it weighs 4kg though so it's £30 just for the shipping :eek:

They do look like a good solution but i'm not paying £60 for a used blanket that's going to sit in the back of the car.

Any other ideas please?

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I bought a poncho liner for my car kit, cheaper and packs smaller. Granted its bit as warm but I've also got a keela belay jacket in there as well so both combined weigh less but more importantly pack down smaller

I'm on runflats so my emergency kit is in the spare wheel space, means the main bit of the boot can be used for normal stuff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE