Wool Beanies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 31, 2010
Lancashire
Hello Ladies and Gents,

After loads of help from people on here I am just looking for a bit of help designing the perfect cable knit beanie hat so I look to the masters of outdoor performance as to what would make a solid-performing cable knit beanie.

My clothing company has everything made here in the UK and is targeted at a fashion audience, but ultimately I want it to perform so any advice, materials or manufacturers that you know of would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Well there are many types of wool with different properties. What key features do you want it to have? For example some draw water away from the skin, some do not absorb water, some do not repel water. Alpaca wool is less itchy than sheep wool etc and softer than some types of sheep wool.

I may be able to help having done 7 years of textile training.

Just going through some stuff to note down.

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Does it need to be hypo-allergenic? Would you rather softer more comfortable wool or are you not bothered about itches? What types of wool have you researched or have you just researched a pattern? Does it need to have elasticity or are you going to make it perfect to your head? There is a lot to consider?

Dec 31, 2010
Lancashire
Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch. Primarily I want the beanie to be cable knit, warm, wick water away from the skin and to be soft. I personally find sheep wool just a little too itchy. There is much to consider and that's why I really value your input. Yes I do need to be flexible as regards fit, but most wools I have worked with (merino, sheep, alpaca) tend to do the job for me.

I was just wondering what other features as regards performance you would want to see, and ultimately what would aesthetically make it look better.

Thanks in advance.

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
What do you think about mohair it does have some incredible qualities when used properly? Personally i'd make the choice between Merino/Alpaca mix or Mohair.

If I were personally to do it, I'd use either Alpaca wool that has about 30% Merino spun into it as that will give it better elasticity. The other being mohair as it has its "stretch" factor and also warm and shrinks less than traditional wool does and soft like human hair. IT is a very soft wool too so you could even try to find an alpaca/mohair mix to help avoid the itch factor?

I'd recommend using wooden needles especially with the alpaca and mohair as it can be very slippery to work with but it's worth the fuss. When doing your cable knit Twist stitches to keep the "memory" in your project and making it in pieces and sewing it together also helps retain the shape. I do love a good cable knit. IT would be nice to see a mock up in a cheaper wool to see what idea you have in mind so far or at least a sketch perhaps.

I was looking at doing one for myself not long ago too. Also Alpaca wool dyes really well so you could even if you wanted add a bit of colour too it too though there is nothing wrong with the natural colours.

Jan 1, 2011
the west country
I'd make a fairly 'luxury' wool that is soft/acrylic mix one - the best hats I have had are double layered - stocking stitch inside. This can knit in one piece. All wool hats can be itchy for some and bulky if the cables are too large and not stretchy enough

Dec 31, 2010
Lancashire
One real issue that I have is that very few British manufacturers like working with difficult wools and always seem to point me in the direction of lambswool.

Any ideas on manufacturers?

Dec 31, 2010
Lancashire
Hello,

Alpaca and merino if possible. That would be my real first choice and then plain merino from there. Thanks for all your help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE