Woodwork Marking Gauge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
As well as the odd bit of green woodwork, I like to do a bit of more accurate woodwork. Better accuracy comes from better marking out, with knife scribed lines, rather than pencil. I also have a traditional marking gauge, but the pin doesn't leave the best line, and is inclined to wander, especially along the grain.
For a long time I have coveted the Veritas wheel marking gauge - beautifully made, but pricey. However, I now have a small metal turning lathe, so I thought I would have a go at making my own (Dear Veritas, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery).
Marking gauge2 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Marking gauge3 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Made from brass, walnut, mild steel and a small bit of O1 silver steel for the hardened marking wheel. The only thing I didn't make was the M3 screw. I don't have a knurling tool yet for my lathe, so the adjustment knob has hand filed serrations for grip. I don't think it looks too bad.

Marking gauge1 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I would buy what you make. I have my hand on my wallet.

I use those in some of my wood carvings to mark centerlines where there are design features
that are supposed to be left/right symmetrical. Like totem pole faces.
The line doesn't disappear like an accidentally smudged pencil line.

Reactions: Muddypaws

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE