Woodmans Pal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
They are not a bad piece of equipment. Troops used them in the south Pacific durring WWII. I have heard many good things about them. Saw a used one at a gun show last spring. Fellow want the price of a new one. I will see if has changed his mind or still has it in a couple of weeks. They are not a long bladed tool like a machete. If your hesitant about it, find someone that has one and see what you think.

bushwakka

Feb 10, 2005
wherever I lay my soul
As quill quite rightly points out the woodmans pal was issued to US troops during ww2 serving in the pacific. There is even a training manual describing how to use them for hand to hand combat! They are still being manufactured in two styles - one with the wooden handle, another with a leather handle and hand guard. I've never used one but they look interesting - gauranteed to raise a few eyebrows down the pub!! :yikes:

They quite often come up on ebay. A new one costs about £60.00.

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
they are a really great tool!!!!, I have 4. they made several versions . 1. ww2 model no. 280, or 480,[off the top of my head for m. no.'s], 2. two or three commercial ones, one like the military, one with a long wood handle,w/ no knuckle guard. 3. there is also a vietnam era one made by frank and merril, stamped as follows, axe, survival tool. only difference between this one and a w.p. is it is about 1in. shorter to fit in pilots survival kit. they currently make at least 3 models that I know of. if you want there web add. or any other info, shoot me a p.m.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Looks like what I've always known as a yorkshire bill hook.

BTCV have a good guide to regional bill hook styles on their site

http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/section/271

10 years ago I missed the hedge I was laying with one of them and hit my left hand, very nearly lopped off two fingers, despite the hedging mitt. I now have a v-shaped notch in my first and second knuckles and a monster scar to boot. :yikes:

You can buy bill hooks direct from the BTCV...

http://shop.btcv.org.uk/shop/level3/19/level

Take care, they are notorious for bouncing off bits of old fencing wire and the double edge means what is heading back towards you is sharp!

Scoops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE