woodlore

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
You will see these coming up on ebay I have seen a couple in the last few months however they appear to be selling for between £400 - £500 at present. New price on Woodlore is £225 im not sure if they are taking orders but i expect a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg waiting list. I suppose that why they are soooooo expensive 2nd hand. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ralph said:
I am looking for an Alan Wood Woodlore knife. Can anyone help?

Ralph,
Does it have to be an Alan Wood, there are plenty of very good clones around - and an awfull lot cheaper especially if you're prepared to do some assembly work yourself.

Ogri the trog

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
No, but I'm struggling to find the makers of the copies. I would probably prefer a copy come to think of it, so it wouldnt matter as much if I lost it. Do you know any websites for the copies and if they do blade blanks ony?

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I like the look of the badger knife kit as I have been dreaming of making my own knife since I started practising bushcraft. Has anyone already used this kit and can they send in some pictures of the finished artile? The screw-together rivets look good for me because I dont have the right tools to use the normal ones, unless its just a case of hammering them in. In my village there is a family who have an old reliant robin which they paint every so often with new and interesting ideas, I recall one summer it was painted yellow with trotters independent traders on the sides, anyway, back to the knife, would it be possible to follow this example and make more than one pair of scales which you could change every so often using the screws? Or doesnt it work like that?

M

Millbilly

I think that once the handle slabs are attached they are kind of permanent (not neccesarilly a bad thing :rolleyes: )
Ive not put one of Shings kits together, but do have one of his completed knives and would wholeheartedly recomend his work.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The BRKT Evo 1 has changeable handles. Mine had 2 types of micarta and a a rubber version. They were held on with bolts - you just have to think how it'll work.
Wood handles probably won't stand up to the changing as well.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Aliwren said:
they appear to be selling for between £400 - £500 at present.

I don't want to offend anyone by saying this and no disrespect to Alan Wood, but a knife just isn't worth that money - it's ridiculous... you could buy between 5 and 50 servicable, bushcraft worthy knives for that. £30 can buy you a knife good for years of *work*.

Buy something else the good folks recommend here for a reasonable price or buy one from Alan Wood at *his* retail price when they're available - the ebay prices are foolish.:(

Okay now that off my chest I can personally recommend making one yourself. You only need a few quid in tools and either buy the bits or a kit. I am but a neophyte in this game so realise my opinion counts for nowt, but the personal satisfaction from putting something togther you made yourself is immeasurable. :)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Sorry Ralph it doesn't work like that as you file the bolts down when shaping the handle thus removing the 'slot' for the screwdriver.

Plenty of people have made kits from Shing, me included. iirc Pignut posted a great looking one a few weeks ago. Have a look around "Edged Tools' section m8.

Reactions: Pignut

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Aha, I knew I'd find it sooner or later,

img04954dc.jpg

As you can see, it will never be a drawer queen, it will forever be an out-and-out user - if it ever gets damaged, I can replace parts without feeling too disheartened. The only luxury I allowed was the etching on the blade, and even if this wears off or gets damaged, I'll get over it.

http://www.swc-handmade-knives.com/

ATB

Ogri the trog

M

Mattwills1978

Steve at SWC does complete 'woodlore' style knives or kits finished to varying levels - they look great but I've not seen any reviews. I'm ordering one at the weekend so I'll find out soon enough!!

Have a look at www.swc-handmade-knives.com - I believe there's about a 3 week waiting list at the moment!

Cheers

Matt :)

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I have a couple of weeks using experience with one of Steves blades that I finished a while ago. In my experience, this is an excellent blade that will see a lot of use the coming years. It replaced my AW woodlore knife.

See my earlier post in this thread: SWC finished woodlore

-Emile

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
If you want a woodlore one has appeared for sale on ebay (nothing to do with me and I dont know seller etc) It has 1 bid so far of £299 with 6 days to go :eek: search under Alan Wood or Ray Mears and you should quickly find it. Sorry I dont know how to link to items on Ebay. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE