Woodlore Tomahawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Yesterday, whilst checking something in my copy of Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook, I also had a flick through as I haven’t had a look at it for a while. What did particularly interest me though, was that back in 1992 when it was written Woodlore produced the Woodlore Tomahawk. Do any of you have one of these, are you able to put any pictures up of it? I’d be most interested in your thoughts on it.

ranger

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i noticed it recently too.. i guess ray has now shifted his preference to GB as i've no doubt that if woodlore made an axe of any kind ray would be using that and not a GB on his shows.

maybe gary will know if woodlore were ever making their own.?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sorry guys in 92 I was out in Bosnia dodging Serbian artillery rounds and snipers - I know the drawing you mean but cant help you maybe it was a prototype Ray wanted to sell but which never took off - who knows?.

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
You would be surprised how few pieces of equipment Ray uses arn't Woodlore. I noticed alot of his knives weren't Woodlores in his books, same with the Parang.

Not much clue on the Tomahawk, maybe something you could e-mail them about. I will be sending a "interview" of questions by e-mail for my site soon, so something I might add.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
GB sell a tomahawk, Casper of Lightmyfireuk had one with him at the Selby Game at Easter. It was the usual GB quality but very expensive, about £130 IIRC.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks to my huge memory for trivia I recall seeing Ray use a hawk in one of the episodes of Tracks. It was the one where he made a boat out of a tarp. :cool:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Had the chance to try out a cheapy (£20 ish) cold steel tomahawk recently - the trail model I think it was. Very impressed. These work on lightness and speed. It had no trouble chopping down an 8 inch dia pine tree, not as quick as a heavier axe but probably more effective than my GB hatchet for a very similar weight. Good value IMO.

P

PaulD

I purchased a French trade style Tomahawk from Light my fire , it must have been old stock as cost was less than £130 , which is the price now shown on the website. I like it as a curiosity , but for use I reckon my SFA is much more the tool for taking out and about.
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE