Woodlore sleeping bag question...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I'd like to know if the zips on these have those double handles, one on the outside and one on the inside of the same zip ?

T.I.A.

Aug 15, 2013
Studley
Yes they have, but I wouldn't recommend one, I bought the 3 season one two years back (which they said would go down to -15°c). The temperature didn't even get close to that and I was still too cold. In my opinion, the Quechua Ultralight S5 sleeping bag (at a fraction of the price) is just as good, if not better. Good luck anyways ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yes they have, but I wouldn't recommend one, I bought the 3 season one two years back (which they said would go down to -15°c). The temperature didn't even get close to that and I was still too cold. In my opinion, the Quechua Ultralight S5 sleeping bag (at a fraction of the price) is just as good, if not better. Good luck anyways ;)

Different strokes etc. I have used the Woodlore Golden Eagle (4 season but not their extreme cold weather bag) at -40/41 in snow trench, open to the sky and was quite comfortable. I do have the three season bag the Osprey which I have never been cold in however I do find it a little heavy and bulky and use another brand (Crux) during the warmer months.

The Woodlore bags are very well designed, very comfortable in use, they are certainly not simply re-badged Nanoks.

:)

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Any one out there own the Woodlore Osprey AND a Karrimor Sabre 45? I'm looking for a 3 season bag that will fit inside a Sabre 45 and not fill the pack! If I fully compress my current sleeping bag I can't get it through the opening at the top of the bergan. If I leave the bag uncompressed there's not much space left in the pack. And I can't manage to push it in uncompressed and then compress it inside the pack (before someone suggests that). So can anyone tell me if the compressed Osprey will fit through the opening of a Sabre 45 please?

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
I can pack the Osprey sleeping bag into A Karrimor Predator 45L - takes about 1/3 of the space used with a compression sack.

Good sleeping bag for if used with hammock as its a 3+ season, synthetic and central zip - i use it most of winter in UK if i use additional layers with addition of UQ.

Without the additional stuff i would get cold in -5c

I would say get smaller down bag if you use a tent, or maybe use a waterproof bivy to protect if in hammock and want to save space and weight.

Down bags obviously have a bit more maintenance so bear that in mind.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Thanks Green Knight. Can you get the compressed bag in sideways across the bottom of the Sabre 45? I like to pack like this so the space left is all at the top and easy to access.

It's my down-bag that fills the Sabre! I use a Snugpak SF1 in summer and really like the central zip, I use the SF bivvy too to make the most of the central zip. The SF2 is just too huge and not practical with a Sabre 45, so that's not an option. That's why I was looking at the Osprey. Do you think it's a good bag? If you lost yours would you buy another?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I like to pack like this so the space left is all at the top and easy to access..."

I have a sabre 45 and an Osprey, rather than use a stuff sack I place a heavy duty rubble bag into the pack and then shove the unrolled Osprey into that, I can then push the osprey to the bottom of the pack filling up all the available space down there before closing the rubble bag and shoving the rest of my gear in on top.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I have a sabre 45 and an Osprey, rather than use a stuff sack I place a heavy duty rubble bag into the pack and then shove the unrolled Osprey into that, I can then push the osprey to the bottom of the pack filling up all the available space down there before closing the rubble bag and shoving the rest of my gear in on top.

Nice tip there fella. Thanks for that :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use a dry bag with an air valve (Exped make one, and you can get other makes too)
Put the bag in the drybag, compress out the air, close the valve.
the sleeping bag now takes up the same volume as the compression sac, but it's malleable, so can be moulded to the shape of your rucksack, and is in a waterproof bag too :D
Saves a lot of pack volume.
I do the same thing for spare clothes too.

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
I think the Osprey is a good bag but i'm not sure i would buy another. I'm looking at moving away from sleeping bags and investing in a wool blanket which had more functionality and is fine as a 3 season bag alternative. It can be rolled up and placed outside the pack or can even be made to be the pack.

If you don't fancy the blanket route, then i would say get the Osprey for use in Autumn and spring it does well for hammocks or central zipped bivy bags setups.

In winter, as has been said, it not enough insulation to be used alone.

Maybe for Winter the Osprey and a wool blanket and a winter rated ground Mat would be enough in a bivy but I've yet to try.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Thanks to Green Knight, Graham_S and Sandbender for all the additional tips. The 'just shove it in' packing method (also championed by Chris Townshend) is not a bad solution, but a bit ungainly when I've tried it, but that was without a rubble bag, I'll give it a go. I like the drybag with a valve idea, I think I'll follow that up too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE