Woodlore Fundemental Course - soon!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
I get anxiety attacks so I do feel for you MartniDave there a right nightmare aren’t they. Have you tried an herbal tea made with VALERIAN if you feel one coming on it seems to help?

MAL

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Right, well that's a feather to go in the cap...

I'm not going to review the course other than say it was "intense" and I'm suprised at how much more difficult it was than I expected. On the plus side, I think I got a lot more from it than I expected. I'm not going into details because they keep the course VERY flexible and intentionally NEVER tell you what to expect. This really keeps the pressure up. They do however cover all the topics listed on their website but the content will vary depending on the season/availability of resources.

In short, the instructors are brilliant! They have made a positive move away from any military style instruction/timings, which I found quite disorientating at first. Ray Mears did turn up! And I can honestly say that he's ten times better in the flesh than he is on TV.

There's nothing to be worried about/scared of on the course because you can only do your best but make sure you do give it 100%. Physically it's not that demanding but we were all knackered at the end of it...it was a satisfying tiredness though.

I think everyone became much more "in-tune" with their surroundings and I felt really comfortable living so much more simply and close to nature. It was a real experience. Yes it is more expensive that the other courses but for me the cost very quickly got forgotten about because you simply can't put a price on the knowledge and experience gained.

I'm sure the other people on the course will be on here now so maybe they'll let on more?

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hey Alex,

Good for you! :You_Rock_

I'm really looking forward to my turn in 3 weeks time! :lmao:

Do you have any other pointers for useful stuff to take? (more importantly, what NOT to take?!?)....an input you have would be great! :rolleyes:

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Basically, the kit list they give you covers everything I used and more (didn't need sun screen or mosi rep but defo worth taking!).

Head torch is worth it's weight in gold (even if you'd prefer not to use it all the time)

Decent sized plate/bowl would be good! :)

Try to take the smaller/lighter versions of stuff as you "may" need to carry them about a bit... ;)

The only thing I would recommend is take 2 water bottles (1 litre each) and don't bother with a camelbak or anything

To be honest, it's hard to reccommend anything as the course content may well be a bit different by the time you do it!

Take a sense of humour and a big bag of determination though!!! Good Luck.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Mal,

I haven't tried herbal teas so far, but fortunately they seem to be quite infrequent and consequyently unpredictable. I've done a bot of scuba diving in the past and had no trouble then even doing moderate cave dives and of course wreck penetrations. The last one came on me while watching an episode of "Lost" would you believe! The heroes where trapped in a cave and I almost had to leave the room!

Anyway, back to the thread - those of you going I hope you have a great time. If Ray does show up its a real bonus, a truly great bloke.

Dave

Swissnic

May 16, 2006
London
Can't wait to hear your experience when you come back (for those going in May). Good luck, and have a great time!

I booked my course last week for 20th May 2007, and decided to do some research after-the-fact! LOL. Thank god I found this site!!! ;i))) Anyone else going the same time? Thanks to all the advice, I am adjusting my kit-list accordingly!

Do people have any preference on knives for this course and in general?

Cheers, Nic.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Swissnic said:
Do people have any preference on knives for this course and in general?

Cheers, Nic.

Yeah. Don't take one - they give you a mora at the start of the course which you can keep afterwards. Great little knife. I would suggest you try it out and see how you get on.
When I went on the fundamental one of the guys turned up with an AW Woodlore. he proceeded to look like a right tw*t as he didn't know what he was doing, made himself stand out in front of the instructors and cut himself quite badly at one point.

Oh and don't take an axe because they won't let you use it or have it out on the course - health & safety/ insurance reasons.
:)

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
In general, students cannot use axes on Woodlore courses unless they have attended the Campcraft course. This is not a cynical attempt at selling the Campcraft course. Rather it's a safety issue, as the previous post implies. Only if a student has attended the Campcraft course does Woodlore know that the student has been trained to use an axe in a way that Woodlore is comfortable with. More to the point, the student knows all the safety points that Woodlore teaches. This is not to say that people who have not attended the Campcraft don't know how to use an axe safely, it's just that there is no way of knowing if they do or they don't without 1-1 supervision.

As for the Fundamental, you can't use an axe even if you have been on the Campcraft course. This is because the intention is for the students to learn to use just a knife for everything they need to do. And, again as the previous post says, you'll get on just fine with the training knife.

Swissnic

May 16, 2006
London
I have a small hatchet I use for firewood - I guess this stays at home then... :(

I also have a 6.5" Woodlore style knife, and a Normark Super Swede folder - should I take either, or just work with the Mora? :confused:

(To give you a clue, I did my first survival course when I was 16 with John Ridgeway (some 18 years ago... eek!) and prefer using what I am used too - but am probably a complete moran when viewed through the eyes of an expert! :lmao:

All I can say is - I have been totally psyched since I booked, and just can't get it out of my mind!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Swissnic said:
I have a small hatchet I use for firewood - I guess this stays at home then... :(

I also have a 6.5" Woodlore style knife, and a Normark Super Swede folder - should I take either, or just work with the Mora? :confused:

(To give you a clue, I did my first survival course when I was 16 with John Ridgeway (some 18 years ago... eek!) and prefer using what I am used too - but am probably a complete moran when viewed through the eyes of an expert! :lmao:

All I can say is - I have been totally psyched since I booked, and just can't get it out of my mind!

If you've been using a knife for that long then I would say ignore my previous and take it with you. The instructors will likely be happier to know that you are skilled and safe and are using something that you are comfortable with. Unless your idea of a knife is a Katana that is ;)

Swissnic

May 16, 2006
London
Marts said:
Unless your idea of a knife is a Katana that is ;)

:lmao: Nope - don't do big knives! (or axes for that matter...)

6" or so is the biggest I've ever needed... And my girlfriend is happy with the same too :D

Right - off to Dartmoor in 30 mins for the weekend! Sweeeeeet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE