Woodlore Folding Bucksaw, first impressions (pic heavy)

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Just a few initial thoughts and pics.
TestValley-20120628-00044.jpg

Stored in a natty leather and canvas sheath.

TestValley-20120628-00045.jpg

Detail of securing toggle.

TestValley-20120628-00046.jpg

Whats inside.

TestValley-20120628-00047.jpg

Part unfolded, the blade is housed in the uprights.

TestValley-20120628-00048.jpg

Joint detail.

TestValley-20120628-00049.jpg

Fitted.

TestValley-20120628-00050.jpg

Assembled.

TestValley-20120628-00051.jpg

And a nice new home for the Scandanavian Axe.

First impressions are of a well made piece of kit, both saw and stowage pouch. I can see that it is going to get a lot of use in the coming years and it cuts like a dream.

Cheers
Louis.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hmmm interesting. I hadn't realised the blade and string were attached to the uprights out of the wrapping. Clever thinking that, saves faffing about with wing nuts and washers. Like that idea a lot.

There's that fine balance between getting the tension of the windlass correct against the fulcrum of the horizontal bar so the blade actually stays under decent tension.

Thanks for showing this in detail.

I agree that's a very nice case too.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Had my eye on that piece of kit myself, like to add to thanks for the excellent photo detail provided. Love the case housing the saw and axe, a little sewn in inset pocket could house other tools for an all inclusive wood kit. Top man thanks for sharing.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I have had one for about 2 years, It's ok but not worth the money, there is not enough tension on the blade, for a bucksaw to work properly it needs the same if not more wood above the crossbar to get enough tension for the saw to work best, however this would be bulky to pack.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Looks purity, but Ikea/mfi ? And only one blade for the money ? That's a green wood blade isn't it ?
I've collected some blackthorn to have a go at making one.
Nice gift though, thanks for showing :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
looks ace Louis!!

is there any mention of where/who makes them?

i was gonna invest in one me sen,...but i think i've done this months spend,..hahah

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I think its a neat package, they way it holds the axe as well, but expensive for what it is. And as Robevs said you need more wood above the crossbar to get decent tension.
I would still like to own one though !

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
looks ace Louis!!

is there any mention of where/who makes them?

i was gonna invest in one me sen,...but i think i've done this months spend,..hahah

Thas just ova compensatin wi this ray luv thing to mek up fo yor Judds not lovin yer like tha wanted I'm to :p

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I think Chris Boyton Ray's bow making buddy makes them.
Green wood blades are nowhere near as good as the dead wood blade
I saw a massive difference when I changed the blade in my "Bob Dustrude" saw. Cheap bacho blades at toolshed.com.

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
Hi All
have a look at rutlands.co.uk there dakota frame saw, i bought one last week and cut a bow saw down to 18inc, to fit, saw braks down faily quickly, cut very well, the top rod works realy well, just bought some havey canvas to make a case,

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
but expensive for what it is.

Really? when i considered it and worked out the costings by the time i bought the timber, the leather, canvas and the tools i needed to make anything like it i found it more expensive and that was before i factored in my time. This is why i chose the option i did.

Cheers
Louis

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
Louis
got to admit, i can see me buying one before the years out,am told the R/Mears one is great to use, my son will have my home made one, enjoy it, lots of people do,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE