Woodlore clone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I finished this one a few days ago, made with 01 tool steel, birdseye maple handle fixed with corby bolts. Let me know what you think guys

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423252074956.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423252074956.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 76
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423252094380.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423252094380.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423252118274.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423252118274.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 62
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423252136489.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423252136489.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 61

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I'm going to be honest and it'll probably sound very harsh to most. If this is your first ever knife build then a huge well done!...Don't read on. If this is one of your first half dozen built-from-scratch knives then you should be happy with it. It's very much getting there. If you are on a knife-making path looking for continuous improvement then I can see one or two areas that need a little tweak in my personal view. The thickness of the scales when viewed in the coke-bottle pic are disproportionately thick for the size of the knife. Thinning that profile down would make the knife look far better in my view giving a sleeker and perhaps better balanced tool. The central pin looks too far back to my eye as well. I think it would look better if it was evenly spaced between the front pin and the lanyard hole. A makers mark would really be the icing on the cake as well. Really lifts it out of that made-in-the-shed realm and not that difficult to do. I'm sure you'd be pleased to see your initials in it more than anyone else.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. Personally I would rather have constructive criticism than no criticism at all, or even worse lies.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I'm going to be honest and it'll probably sound very harsh to most. If this is your first ever knife build then a huge well done!...Don't read on. If this is one of your first half dozen built-from-scratch knives then you should be happy with it. It's very much getting there. If you are on a knife-making path looking for continuous improvement then I can see one or two areas that need a little tweak in my personal view. The thickness of the scales when viewed in the coke-bottle pic are disproportionately thick for the size of the knife. Thinning that profile down would make the knife look far better in my view giving a sleeker and perhaps better balanced tool. The central pin looks too far back to my eye as well. I think it would look better if it was evenly spaced between the front pin and the lanyard hole. A makers mark would really be the icing on the cake as well. Really lifts it out of that made-in-the-shed realm and not that difficult to do. I'm sure you'd be pleased to see your initials in it more than anyone else.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. Personally I would rather have constructive criticism than no criticism at all, or even worse lies.
To me this is good feedback, as it's only my 3rd knife made like this :)
I used an SWC template for this project, so the pin wholes was marked out for me. I desided to make the handle slightly thicker as I find my swc ray mears bushcraft knife a little to thin for my liking, although I still could do with thinning it down a little more. Thanks for your comments :)

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
It's a good job and one to treasure, regardless to potential tweaks that could be added.

Next will be better and the one after . . .

All the best.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
For only your third knife it is great. Glad you took the criticism well. I've only used birdseye maple once on a handle and it didn't turn out as nicely finished as yours. I was using bigger pins than you. Stainless steel. The area around the pins ended up impregnated with the pin-dust and it just wouldn't clean up. Ended up having to dye the maple. Not what I wanted but there was a lesson to be learned there.
Keep up the good work!

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
For only your third knife it is great. Glad you took the criticism well. I've only used birdseye maple once on a handle and it didn't turn out as nicely finished as yours. I was using bigger pins than you. Stainless steel. The area around the pins ended up impregnated with the pin-dust and it just wouldn't clean up. Ended up having to dye the maple. Not what I wanted but there was a lesson to be learned there.
Keep up the good work!
Same thing happened on this one, I got paper towel and alternated between warm water and linseed oil to clean it off. It happened on the buffing wheel, it was a big set back but like you said a valuable lesson indeed :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not a bad effort for your third mate. To me the handle looks uncomfortable though, too much dip with too quick of a transition from thick to thin.... will cause cramps in the back of your hand in no time when using it properly.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
They were monster pins! The grain was fairly open in places.
I dyed the maple green which turned out ok......then I messed up my makers mark. Don't try putting your mark on with a Dremel! Lol.....Another lesson learned the hard way!

2010-03-19165721.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE