Woodlore Arctic Course - Ski Wax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hi All,

I went on the Woodlore Arctic Course with RM back in 2003.

On the course Ray and Lars (Fjallt) recommended a certain combination of ski waxes to carry with you.

I took a photo to remind me which ones, but now I can't find it.

Can anyone who has been on the course please remind me which waxes were advised.

Many thanks :)

Scoops

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Sorry, haven't been on any course. BUT ski wax choice is dependent of weather. I usually carry three different kinds and haven't felt the need for anymore so far, it's a pretty standard all mountain/touring combo I carry, not any racing special stuff. I don't remember which ones though, and all the ski stuff is in my basement. Can take a look if you want.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hi Big Swede,

Thanks I'd appreciate that, I recall that it is weather dependent and it was a selection of three that was recommended IIRC.

I seem to remember one was for Warmer/Wetter conditions around freezing but any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Scoops

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
It's called "swix turpack" (swix touring pack) and contains
*V55 red special for 1 to -2 degrees depending on wear on the skis
*V40 Blue extra for -1 to -10 degrees, also dependent on wear
*V45 Violet special for 0 to -6, also dependent on wear

I usually change between these and some for colder weather. I also carry a scraper and climbing skins. The touring pack is usually available in most ski stores. These are not recommended for traditional wooden skis which are tarred for base wax and rubbed with stearine on the glide surfaces. If you happen to come by sweden I have a pair of top notch touring/all mountain/expedition (Åsnes Rago) skis for sale with really rugged bindings in 205 length.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Cheers BigSwede, the info is very much appreciated. :You_Rock_

Unfortunately, I'll most likely be heading to Norway next. Sweden is a fantastic place though so I'll definitely be heading that way out at some point.

Thanks,

Scoops

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just out of interest how would you apply the wax 'in the field?'
I use an iron before I go as its a fair guess what temp's you will be getting in the mountains....suppose the temps can change dramatically when out.
Would love to get into cross country skiing as my only experience is thrashing down slopes on a snowboard!
D

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I didn't know and figured you just rubbed it on, a quick google suggests this ok...

"When skiing on a freshly waxed classic ski the wax may not work right away. It seems that it takes several kilometers of skiing for the wax to setup and start working so give it a chance. If after a few K you are still slipping rub on more wax of the same type but a bit further forward, (2 inches) Smooth it out with a cork. When classical skiing always carry extra wax of the day and a cork. You may also want to bring the next warmer wax just in case. If you are still slipping rewax with the next warmer wax. Just take of the skis. Stick the tails in the snow. Get out your wax. Hold the top of the ski with one hand and rub the wax on with the other. steady the ski against your foot. Smooth it out with a cork. Don’t be too concerned with how pretty the wax job is at this point. Just rub it on and cork it a bit. You’ll probably have to rub fairly hard because the wax and ski are cold."

Cross Country Ski Waxing 101

If anyone knows better I'd be pleased to be corrected :D

Scoops

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I only use an old iron for applying the base wax. I do this 1 or 2 times per season. In the field I only rub the middle part of the ski (the part under the foot which supplies the traction) with an appropriate wax (depending on weather and the snow). It does take a few K's (as mentioned) before it gets good. I don't use a cork though. I do this once per day (in the morning, or maybe twice during lunch). If the conditions changed much I scrape the old wax of, otherwise I just top of the old layer.

I use the scraper before mounting skins if I'm going steeply upwards.

You should see the racing nordic skiers, wax for them is a religion. It's crazy to see them! The more serious teams have dedicated wax personnel, much like race team have mechanics. But I doubt that I would feel difference, I don't ski in prepared tracks, and seldom without a heavy load.

Uh yeah, if you're planning to pull a pulk, get skins.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The penny just dropped!
I have only thought of waxing for improving glide ie reducing 'friction', I had never thought of wax for improving 'kick'
I thought that people just used skins fo going up hill......
All very interesting....I wanna have a go!
D

Gailainne

Life Member
When I skied, back in the day when there was snow to ski on in Scotland, I used to get myself all bent out of shape about what colour wax to apply, till I discovered theres a catch all wax which is silver coloured that is perfect for the UK, cant remember the exact temps but it worked, was'nt perfect, but it got the job done.
I never used cross country skis, so no info on waxes for them.

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE