Woodland Game

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Carcajou Garou has a statement on the bottom of his posts which reads something like "Lacross is not a matter of life and death - it's much more important than that."

At winter gatherings we sometimes play a game which has similarities to lacross. It is called Bagatiway. Deep snow on the playing field is a requirement.

Bagitaway is played by two opposing mobs armed with lacross type raquets. The raquets are used as clubs and spears and the object is to keep members of the opposing team off your side of the field and lay out as many of them as possible while doing so. Drawing blood is important. There are no rules. There is a ball involved, but I've yet to devine its purpose.

PG

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Goose said:
Sounds like the old favourite, murderball, or after a few drinks in the block murdertuppence! That used to get scary :eek:

:lmao:

Goose,
If I haven't played against you then I've been involved in a few just like it :cool: :yikes:

Ogri the trog

Blackthorn

Feb 2, 2006
Ireland
Pierre

Are you sure your winter gatherings are not some long lost Irish clan meeting as your game sounds a lot like Hurling, :) except in Hurling the ball is sort of pretty important. :lmao:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Blackthorn said:
Pierre

Are you sure your winter gatherings are not some long lost Irish clan meeting as your game sounds a lot like Hurling, :) except in Hurling the ball is sort of pretty important. :lmao:

The only Irishman involved is Danny Jahr(head) and he's never been to "ta auld sod."

PG

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Saygo Pierre, Lacrosse in Iroquois is called the "little brother of war" and like PG said only one rule: there are no rules :lmao:
My son and I still bring our lacrosse sticks when camping or out for a family gathering, it is a magnificient game given to us by the Creator. My son uses it to extend his hand to eye coordination and sharpen his skills in Japanese Kendo, also develops good aerobic functions. CG :yo:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Carcajou Garou said:
Saygo Pierre, Lacrosse in Iroquois is called the "little brother of war" and like PG said only one rule: there are no rules :lmao:
My son and I still bring our lacrosse sticks when camping or out for a family gathering, it is a magnificient game given to us by the Creator. My son uses it to extend his hand to eye coordination and sharpen his skills in Japanese Kendo, also develops good aerobic functions. CG :yo:

You should put up a photo of your lacrosse stick (or raquet). I don't have one right now (broke my best raquet - last time I played). Great project for the DIY forum.

I looked for a lacrosse (or bagitaway) stick and this was all I could find.

http://images.marketworks.com/fullV...ages.auctionworks.com/hi/60/60396/wr0451d.jpg

It looks nothing like the sticks I've made which more closely resemble a walking cane with some babiche (rawhide lace) strung across the curved part of the cane.

PG

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Saygo!!! PG, my son left just a while ago and won't be back for a week? So pictures are out for awhile (I am not very computer savy). We have and use 2 styles of lacrosse sticks the old wooden stick in an offset question mark shape with babiche and leather lacing and the newer plastic/nylon centre head on either an ash or an aluminum shaft. Newer styles are easier to use but I like the older traditional style. We were at an Iroquois wedding a few years ago and halfway during the day I noticed a definate lack of males, found them in the front pitch playing lacrosse about a hundred or so players but being a social event it was very polite, no purposeful injuries :D
try: www.mohawkintlacrosse.com
we use their sticks
The "lacrosse" stick was named by the "French SJ" as it reminded them that it looked like the bishop "cross" staff.
CG :yo:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Found this on the web:

"The origins and roots of Lacrosse

Lacrosse is one of the oldest sport in North America. It's roots can be traced back to Native American religion, lacrosse was often played to resolve conflicts, heal sick people, and develop virile, strong men. To Native Americans, lacrosse is still referred to as "The Creator's Game."

Lacrosse was considered by many native tribes to be excellent training for war -- the Cherokees even called it "the little brother of war." Teams could consist of as many of hundreds, or even thousands, of players. Goals were often miles apart. Games lasted as long as three days. Most players were unable to get close to the ball, and so took to concentrating their efforts on using their stick as a weapon.

According to many sources, the first Europeans to witness baggataway were French explorers who felt the stick resembled a bishop's crozier -- "la crosse, in French" -- so baggataway took on the new name. Other sources, perhaps more accurately, claim lacrosse is derived from the name of a field hockey game the French played -- "jeu de la crosse."

The Six Tribes of the Iroquois, in the area which is now southern Ontario and western New York, called their version of lacrosse "baggataway" or "teewaraathon." This was much more organized than in most parts of the country, including the limitation of only 12 to 15 players per team and defined boundaries, including goals about 120 feet apart.

In the early 1800s, Europeans in Canada started playing the game. Montreal's Olympic Club organized a team in 1844, specifically to play a match against a Native American team. Other games were played in 1848 and 1851. The first step lacrosse took towards becoming a legitimate, modern sport came when the Montreal Lacrosse Club (formed in 1856) developed the first written rules.

George Beers of the MLC rewrote the rules in 1867, making official a limit of twelve players per side, and named those positions: goal, point, cover point, first defense, second defense, third defense, centre, third attack, second attack, first attack, out home, and in home."

From this website:

http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/history-lacrosse.htm

PG

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
One of my housemates plays lacrosse (but the private all girls boarding schools type) not what seems to be a much better version (i.e. the bloody no rules version)
Saying that she regularly comes back with black eyes.....
Oh and she convinced her daddy spend £150 quid on a new lacrosse stick :eek:

tprindle00

Jan 31, 2006
northeast, US
www.nativetech.org
Traditonal wooden lacrosse sticks from the Minnesota Historical Society

mf000453.jpg

http://www.mnhs.org/collections/museum/mf000453.jpg

1 item : wood, cord ; 86.5 x 7.5 cm.
Summary Lacrosse stick has a rounded one piece wood handle and cord net hoop. The hoop is teardrop shaped and lashed to the handle with beige cord or yarn, as well as being nailed in place. Nine holes are drilled in the hoop, and leather strips are laced through them to form netting.
Linking Entry Note Forms part of: the Jeannette O. and Harry D. Ayer collection.

http://www.mnhs.org/collections/museum/mf000454.jpg

1 item : wood, twine, feather ; 73.5 x 10 cm.
Summary Lacrosse stick has a one-piece wood handle and a netted hoop. The rounded handle is a greenish brown color. The round hoop is tied to the handle with twine and is cracked and splintered. There are seven holes in the hoop through which is laced lengths of brown twine; these are knotted together in the center to form the net. There is a groove around the handle tip, and a long brown and white feather is tied with a leather strip to the handle above this groove.
Linking Entry Note Forms part of: the Jeannette O. and Harry D. Ayer collection.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Blackthorn said:
Pierre

We do have a game called curling. Involves a stone. Think it is Scottish. I believe the intent of the game is to see how much you can drink while performing numerous and rather silly operations which are supposed to further the performance of a stone thrown on ice.

How is the game of hurling played?

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE