Woodland Edge Underblanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Picked mine up from the Post Office today, looks great and packed it's about half the size of my homemade.

Will hopefully try it out at the weekend.

Thanks to Ian (wanderinstar) for all his work in the design, getting Snugpak to build them and making them available through Woodland Edge. I just hope he's getting a decent kickback from that deal for all his efforts.

Just out of interest did we ever find out just how cold these can get and still be effective? Will try to remember to take a min/max in/out thermometer with me to measure temp differences.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Depends on what you've got inside the hammock. Another sleeping bag, a blanket, your coat.

With a bag I've been down to plus 5 no probs at all. You can judge the effectiveness of the underblanket by loseneing it off for 5 minutes; its noticable. For the size and weight it can't be beat.

Bit of a conumdrum to match the right kind of complementary blanket for over you inthe hammock though.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
According to Snugpak they should be good down to -10. I haven't been out in that temp yet. Like you Andy I keep meaning to get a max/min thermometer.

MJK. There is only one complimentary blanket. It is called a Quilt for Group Buy Underblanket.:)

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Wanderinstar,

I think I've taken my eye off the ball a bit with the group buys. The complimentary blanket looks really good. I'll have to keep on my toes for the next group buy, assuming there will be one ;-)

I'm very happy with the underblanket. I don't think I could construct an alternative that would perform as good.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
S orry Martin, There wont be another Group Buy. But you should be able to get one from Woodland Edge. They are now the retailers of Quilt and Blanket.
Thanks for the recommendation.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Went out yesterday to try out my new underblanket, wasn't quite as cold as I'd hoped only about 4C, but inside i was toasty my thermometer registered a max of 32C in my jacket pocket. I didn't use a sleeping bag just a small quilt made from leftovers from my own homemade underblanket, I also kept all my layers on. I slept between the two layers of my DD hammock since the wind was gusting in every direction.

The only time I had a cold spot was when the hammock tapes stretched and my butt was touching the ground. I had to set the hammock and tarp pretty low as the weather was a bit wet and windy up at Loch Chon. The site I chose was pretty exposed, but the underblanket performed well and I had a comfortable night despite the wind and the rain. The underblanket also did a good job of resisting the light spray which found its way under the tarp.

My only regret is that I didn't get one with the BCUK logo stitched on it, mine has Woodland Edge embroidered on it.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
:LOL: On a cold, wet 'n' windy late-autumn night in the hills of Scotland I know which I'd rather have!!! I'm sure mine is the equal of the BCUK one, my regret is I didn't get one sooner ;-)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Didn't take any photos this time I'm afraid. Will take it out when it's less wild and get some shots. Have to try a comparison with my homemade one too, though for packed size the bought one beats my own efforts hands down, though mine is more of an insulated hammock in its own right.

Laser-proof eh? Now that's a test I didn't think of! :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE