Wooden coffee stirrer kindling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
When ever I get a coffee I always pick up 2 or 3 extra wooden stirrers, cut in half makes great kindling.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
When ever I get a coffee I always pick up 2 or 3 extra wooden stirrers, cut in half makes great kindling.

Funny you should mention this. We've been in hotels for the past three weeks both here and the US and one morning at the hotel in St Louis I saw the wooden stirrers and have been grabbing a few every chance i can. My wife thinks I'm loopy but that's normal anyway :)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I will sell you thousands of them in kit form for a fiver :)

Same as this red
2305cf3ac03853d5dde11af7508b8054.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Thought it was just me. Those and the packs of sugar, salt, pepper, wipes and jiggers of milk. Not to mention soaps and shampoos from hotels. Mind you, when we last lived in Germany, we used to give them to a lady who lived nearby, she used to collect them and donate them to the local homeless shelter.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Our hotel here in Exeter has those single cup packets of Nescafe in regular and decaf. Housekeeping missed us today so I went to the reception and asked for some I was given a h-u-g-e handful of them 30+ packets. Well that's my camp coffee needs sorted for a while. :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I don't see the point in collecting stirrers for kindling - it's doubtful that I can't make or find my own when needed.

I find them more useful as glue stirrers / spreaders. ;)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I find them more useful as glue stirrers / spreaders. ;)

I'm the same, handy little things, althoughI prefer used icepop sticks for this, as they're a bit wider, but can be narrowed down at the tip with a blade to get epoxy into tighter spots.

Ste

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Well I suppose it is the bushcraft way - grabbing things that can be useful along the way in case you can't find them later when needed. But in a hotel? I'm not sure collecting coffee stirrers for kindling counts?! Surely that's cheating a little bit?:p

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lets be honest though. Dry grass sterms can be had just as easily, without having to steal anything.

I do keep my stirrers though after use, as the OP.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I wouldn't bother with them for kindling but if you want to make sulphur matches for flint and steel firelighting and aint doing the AR making them like back in the 18th C and splitting your own splints they are just the job, thinner than lolly sticks and you don't need to shape the ends like pipe lighting splints.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE