Woodcarving.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Like this?
6358909517_e9f71d65cb_b.jpg

It's called a shave horse, and the blades are called draw knives.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ah, good. Another one hooked on carving. Size: from apple cores and smaller to totem poles, from entire walls to house beams. Subject: what's appealing? sculpture, functional? Style: often of regional origins.
Finished or not, what did you work on? I wish you well. Carving tools: commonly, you get what you pay for.
Advice: do not give up looking for other carvers.
Later today, I will be using a 48oz log mallet & froe then a draw knife to tidy up a 40-pound western red cedar shake block which, I hope, will become a 24" x 12" feast bowl.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bowls: depends a little on how big a bowl. For 8" and bigger, a bowl adze (gutter or lip sweep) is the best roughout tool.
I use a Stubai Carver's adze, about a 7/75 sweep. My thoughts wander to something tighter (Granfors, for example).

So-called "spoon knives" are used to carve sideways to remove adze blade marks and to refine the shape.
I think that for the most versatile edges, I would ignore a dedicated spoon knife such as the Mora #162, #163 and #164.
That's not to say that they can't do the job but there are other designs which have broader application.
In the Pacific Northwest, these are usually called "crooked knives" which have many different shapes and sizes.

Kestrel Tool makes them all so here you can take a look:

http://kestreltool.com/index.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE