Woodcarving Beginner

May 31, 2010
South Wales
Hi Guys

Just ordered some tools and was wondering what is a good wood to start carving with, and some information where to get the wood from would be very helpfull.

Many Thanks

Rob

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
All depends on what you are planning to carve. Birch is commonly used for carving spoons, kuskas etc, usually green as it hardens up as it seasons. Lime is a good wood to carve green or seasoned. I've seen all sorts of wood used though.

As for a source, speak to a friendly tree surgeon and ask for some trimmings :)

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I got a load of cherry from a guy that had just cut one down in his front yard - it was all piled up, so I knock on his door and ask if I could take a couple of lengths. "Take as much as you can carry" he says; pity I was on foot and had 3 miles to home.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hey, i dont know of there's any of these near you but dotted around the UK are wood recycling plants who are a charity who sell secondhand timber (offcuts, rejects and demolition waste). they generally have a very wide selection ranging from little bits of lime to entire oak trees and will always give you a good deal. they also have volunteers make stuff out of their wood to raise money for their cause so if there's one near you ask about volunteering, you get to carve stuff without having to buy any wood and you know your products are going to a good cause. in my personal opinion charities like these are among the most important in the world as they are doing their best to save the planet.

if you dont have any near you try these guys: http://www.ockenden-timber.co.uk/timber.htm
as well as their carving blanks the spindles for wood turning are also very good for carving.

ATB and happy carving :)
TJ

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I would say to keep your eyes open in early spring and autumn thats whanmost commercial clearance will be done.
Sycamore is agood woodto carve (about all it is good for, but thats another whinge), birch is easy - lime is nice.
If you are a beginer i would really advocate trying to work green wood as it is doo much easier - but you have to think about spliting the wood down to stop it cracking later.
Almost any green wood will be easier to work than (almost) any dried wood. Willow can be hard to split out as its fibers are interlinked somewhat.
If you volunteer for a locat wildlife trust of BTCV for a day when they are doing tree clearance and woodland management you can vertually guaruntee something usefull.

For smaller projects like spoons you can use quite small limbs - it does rather depend on what you wish to make?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE