Wood treatment...Help needed please

WoodMonkey

Jun 1, 2006
Berkshire
Hi All
Pretty much finished my first Kuksa cup. I made it on a Bushcraft course a while ago out of Birch, and have just got the shape where I want it. It has been gently dried out with no cracks showing..Yet ?
I want to use it for tea/ coffee etc and don't know what oil/finish I should use so I don't poison myself :yikes: and to preserve the wood. Any advise will be greatly appreciated please....

Thank you

Del

Rumi

Forager
Hi Del

By their very nature wooden cups bowls and spoons have a lifespan unless they are for decorative purposes so preservation is difficult. You may try oiling it with something tasteless and food grade like grape seed or olive oil or you may just let it mature and change as you use it. Regular use will keep it moist but it will get stained by whatever you put in it.

Just for future reference, for food use sycamore wood has a natural anti-septic property so it ideal for culinary use.

I hope this helps

Rumi

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
If you want a nice finish use beeswax or oil on the outside only. After use rinse and dry the inside and dont leave liqiud in the cup for any long periods. Thats all you need to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE