wood stove for shed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
hi all need some advice i have an 8ft by 6ft shed and would like to make a wood stove for it am i mad or does any one have any advice on where tostart many thanks paul oh and the shed is wooden

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Someone asked a similar question not long ago, seem to remember someone had a go making one based on tinny's design at minibull designs.
I've just made a protype using 2 sweet tins today, drawed really good....really pleased with it :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Small gas bottle, cut front off re attach with hinges, cut top out add chimney and up through shed roof. Drill a few holes around the base for air flow. Jobs a good un. :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Small gas bottle, cut front off re attach with hinges, cut top out add chimney and up through shed roof. Drill a few holes around the base for air flow. Jobs a good un. :D

I've had one like this in my shed for the last ten years.I would say its the way to go. Cheap and cheerful and works like a dream.:)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I had a 7x7 (49sq feet as opposed to 48 for a 6x8) wooden shed which a camping stove or a blow lamp would adequately heat in about 5 minutes.

A wood burner for a small shed? Do-able definitely, but anything much bigger than a foot high by 6 inch diameter and it'll be a sauna unless you're very picky about the wood you burn on it.

A small parafin stove/tilley lamp might be all you'd need.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I would suggest adding a sheet of stainless steel under the burner, stops anything falling out or jumping out and burning a hole in your shed.
my old mans got a burner in his shed but the chimney has an S bend and goes out of the side/back of the shed wall and not out the roof.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had a 7x7 (49sq feet as opposed to 48 for a 6x8) wooden shed which a camping stove or a blow lamp would adequately heat in about 5 minutes.

A wood burner for a small shed? Do-able definitely, but anything much bigger than a foot high by 6 inch diameter and it'll be a sauna unless you're very picky about the wood you burn on it.

A small parafin stove/tilley lamp might be all you'd need.

Well said, Vapalux lantern will throw out light and about 1Kw of heat, don't see the point of a dedicated burner in such a small shed.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
but smoke seems getting out from the stove, when burning paper to burn the wood. I need to get proper chimney installed on it, but chimneys on ebay seems very expensive. Need to make one by DIY. Again even after chimney installed, problem will be burning smell from smoke will irritate neighbours around the back garden where the shed is. If you have no neighbours around, then it would be easier, but otherwise, I am not sure what problem I will have by buring woods in the shed. I have not burnt anything for weeks after my wife warned me that neighbours might complain of burning smell on their washings in the garden.

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
i'm planning on building a 10 by 8 foot log cabin on my allotmont and will heat it with a small wood burner stove. the chimney will exit out via one of the walls rather than out the roof.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Not a wood burner but abit of recycling, i got one of those old gas bottle heaters, I got it for free and somehow manage to find half empty gass bottles to use in it allot :)

I might even convert one of those gas bottles as i have a couple of tons of logs outside!!!

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Get a chiminea from Argos/Garden centre (probably in the sales just now), fit a DIY chimney through the roof and Bob's your father's brother!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE