wood stove - battery. on Ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Just found this on Ebay. From America, unfortunately.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WoodGas-Camp-...ryZ87138QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"The WoodGas campstove includes a unique two-stage combustion chamber which burns wood and pellets hot and efficiently. The first stage of combustion burns the fuel a little bit, creating a stream of smoke, or gas. The second stage burns the smoke, creating a clean hot flame. A fan and port system routes combustion air to create the complete two stage combustion."

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
well it looks ok as an idea, :)

PICT0139_resized.JPG

though they're selling it as some amazing new discovery, when infact all it is, is a can with a fire in, with air blowing into it :rolleyes:

shame it's battery operated,:( if it was wind up that would be far better! also if it was geared you'd prehaps have a hand powered mini forge!
to be fair they offer a solar charger (which isn't much help in winter) :rolleyes:

nice idea though, what do other people think? :confused:

I'm wondering why it has a handle, it's almost as though it's suggesting it needs extra support or it should be carried :eek:
and the E-bay sellers quote is a little worrying :rolleyes:

* No commerical fuel required.

* Burn twigs and debris without the campfire smoke.

* Fun and safe way to play with fire.

* Long battery life - 10 hours of burning time.

* Small and compact.

that's right! :eek:
* Fun and safe way to play with fire.
is there really a "fun" or "safe" way to "play" with fire? :bluThinki who are they selling this to?

* Long battery life - 10 hours of burning time.
so, one days use in winter then! just when you need a decent cooker! :(

* Burn twigs and debris without the campfire smoke.
this must surely rely on the person that's using the stove! :confused: before it goes to jet power you'll still have to light the fire the old fashioned way, and the result is smoke! ;)

here's a link to the maker anyway: WoodGas-stove.com

if they come up with a hand driven one i'll be interested! :)

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
This looks similar to this I have one and they are pretty handy if you are not allowed to light a normal fire on the ground and you are away from civilization for a while not able to stock up on gas or meths etc.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
though they're selling it as some amazing new discovery, when infact all it is, is a can with a fire in, with air blowing into it :rolleyes:

I think somewhere in between your comment and their marketing seems about right.
The diference between the Woodgas and other wood stoves that I've seen is it's split the air ratio between top and bottom feeds to efficiently burn the woodgas given off by the primary burning, this is different from say the Sierra Zipstove which just pushes in air from the bottom.

shame it's battery operated,:( if it was wind up that would be far better! also if it was geared you'd prehaps have a hand powered mini forge!
to be fair they offer a solar charger (which isn't much help in winter) :rolleyes:

I wouldn't fancy winding it while cooking, given a claimed high capacity battery life of 10-11 hours use I think 5 hours with high capacity rechargables is probably reasonable safe guess. A bit of 21st century bushcraft by adding one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-LED-Rotary-...9366705QQihZ015QQcategoryZ60840QQcmdZViewItem as an emergency recharge ( I picked that one fairly randomly, looking for one that was also a torch to justify carrying the extra weight ) and I think it makes it pretty usable for longer trips.
I'm just a little dissapointed that it will not fit in even my middle sized billy, which is why I've been looking at building a smaller mini forge myself, though thinking of trying to include the secondary air port ideas for prototype2 ;)

I'm wondering why it has a handle, it's almost as though it's suggesting it needs extra support or it should be carried :eek:
The handle is detachable, so I like it, being able to easily pick it up and move it while hot seems a good feature.

Overall I guess whether it would be reasonable for any individual depends on the way they cook. I'd think of it as an alternative to a meths or gas stove rather than as a substitue for a camp fire, the battery life seems reasonable enough in that respect

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
they're all fair points! :)
i guess i need to work with one to see what it's really like.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE