Wood Shed for well wood!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I have been instructed by my dear wife .. to make a firewood shed!

We have a wood burner and use it year in year out and the old dog house was knocked down last year to make way for a new fence and so now im faced with building a new shed.. For firewood mainly and a small section to store tools..

I was thinking of a base a roof and a small telephone box size cupboard at one end for tools (with a door) and the rest open to dry the wood..

Has anybody any plans for this type of construction ??

Simon

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
We sunk four tanalised stock fencing posts into the back garden and built a framework for the roof and sides out of four by two planks, then lined the roof and three sides with heavy duty polythene held down by screws (you can get it from most builders merchants), leaving air gaps at the bottom to allow the wind to pass through without a buildup in pressure. It measured roughly 6'x6'x4' so is big enough to store a cord of firewood in and still give you a bit of room to move about. Store the firewood off of the floor using old pallets as it prevents damp at the bottom of the pile and gives better air circulation for the wood to season. Looks a bit agricultural I think the neighbours dissaproved but we didnt care.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My brother in law back in Germany has his wood sheds built just like a normal garden shed but with a larger overhang on the roof to protect the sides from diagonal rain, and the walls are slatted like a garden shed but imagine every other board is removed. He has two sheds as he rotates his wood over a number of years. He also uses some for smoking fish and meat, although he splits that down fine to get the heat up and then smothers with sawdust.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Couple of ideas

woodshed.gif

woodshed.jpg

woodshed.jpg

57850253.woodshedsnow.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
This one was a tomato house, but then I moved in!

Then we decided to make one from scratch. Tanalised posts and trellis pannels. Not the cheapest way to do it but it was up in a day. Used hardboard and felt on top, but if I did another it would be planks of wood and heavy canvas, with more over hang. The wind can get in there real easy for drying as quick as possible.

Im going to extend the front of this one to try and get another 2-3 cubic metres of chopped wood, so I have enough for 7 ish months everyday burning for hot water and heating.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Thanks for the tips guys..

So basically we are looking at a shed with no sides with and air gap underneath..
Overhung rood to stop the rain..
Im trying to keep away from plastic roofing and will probabaly opt for roof tiles
I like madaves larger model ;) think Ill need to modify it slightly though to come into line with what the wife thinks I can manage ;)

I liked the tresel idea to!!

Thanks guys food for thought

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE