Wood Preservatives

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Bit of advice from the collective knowledge base please.

We need to get the wood on our shed, greenhouse & aviary treated before winter comes with a good coat of wood preservative, we always used to use Creosote, but since that is no longer available, we have been trying and using all manner of different, supposedly, good, exterior wood treatments from companies such as Ronseal & Cuprinol, but tbh, the stuff lasts one winter before you start to see bare wood again.

We even tried some of the Creosote replacement products, which we have also not had a lot of luck with, so is there a good alternative to good old fashioned Creosote, that we can use on the shed & greenhouse and a good, non toxic, product that can be used on the Aviary?

Cheers chaps

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a right royal pain, isn't it ?
I tried to find stuff for my wooden garden furniture that sits beside the pond........that's full of newts and other interesting buggits. Nothing lasts long :sigh:
What I did find, to my surprise, was that outdoor matt paint (like gloss but not shiny, iimmc) might be full of volatile stuff but once it's dry it's fine and safe and it lasts two or three years. Comes recommended by the near 90year old uncle who's fed up painting :D
I am seriously tempted since our sheds need doing too.

Links to anything else useful would be appreciated :)

cheers,
M

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Why not use boiled linseed oil? May work out a bit more expensive than other stuff but it should last a good while.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Is the wood weathered? Have you rubbed it down well? Its all in the prep unfortunately.

Coatings won't adhere to weathered wood-after 2 weeks of exposure to UV this happens and if theres decay, it'll never last or stick. You will get much, much better service from coatings if the prep is done well.

The very best longevity for exterior coatings at the moment are water based Alkyd/Acrylic paints. Sadolin Superdec or Jotun Demidekk are currently lasting longer than any other. (up to 12 years service I'm seeing)

If I was doing this professionally, I'd either suggest Sadolin classic (its on offer at the moment) for minimum work and a 2 -3 year life or;

go to town on it and put it to bed for years by putting a coat of Jotun spirit based preservative and leaving that to dry for 2 days, then overcoating with 2 coat of Superdec or Demidekk.

Hope this helps. ( I run a painting business)

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Do you know of anyone making charcoal ,if so see if you can buy the tar off of them top stuff and lasts

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE