Wood ID required

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When I moved in to my current house the pervious owner left some wood in the grage. One of the planks is about 12ft long and really heavy. I am trying to figure out what sort of wood it is and if I could then use it for knife scales or something.

IMG_20120109_201444.jpg

IMG_20120109_201511.jpg

Any ideas what it is?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The top pic made me think Walnut initially, but the bottom one has changed my mind. Not sure what it is tbh. Perhaps a mahogany? :confused:

Heavy = dense = hardwood = good knife scales.:)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
What does it smell like ?....................not sure it would make good knife scales as looking at the second photo (top view) it seems to have a lot of splits.

Edit: I asked what it smelt like as it looks a little like ceder, but that could be my screen

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My brother brought some home from work that was similar, very dense and hard. He said it was what a new machine had been brought in on. It blunted my chainsaw blade before it got through a 6" square section. I used it on a couple of knife handles but found it to be brittle in thinner sections. Perhaps this is something similar?

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Been having a play with the wood this weekend for scales on my knife. Was practising my woodworking skills which have not been used since high school about 20 years ago and I found the wood to be very brittle. A light tap with a hammer had it breaking in to bits. It was very clean breaks. So I don't think it will be any use for scales. Need to see if I can use it for anything else.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Been having a play with the wood this weekend for scales on my knife. Was practising my woodworking skills which have not been used since high school about 20 years ago and I found the wood to be very brittle. A light tap with a hammer had it breaking in to bits. It was very clean breaks. So I don't think it will be any use for scales. Need to see if I can use it for anything else.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
I bet it would burn well...

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I bet it would burn well...
It sounds very similar to what i said in post 7, if so, it doesn't :)

Too dense to burn properly. More of a smolderer. You get flames for a few minutes and then it just glows, but you need either a really good bed of embers or other fuels to keep it glowing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE