Wood Gas Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
Hi All

I have been reading about various woodburners for a while and having made a few hobo's I thought it was time to try making a wood gas stove.
Two different sized cans of dog food later this is what I came up with.

Stove1.jpg

Stove3.jpg

Stove2.jpg

Stove4.jpg

After the first burn I needed to increase the air holes at the bottom of the inner and now it works like a charm, I just need to add a pot holder and we are good to go.

Regards
Martin

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Looks good mate.
Can you give us some dimensions of cans, holes, position of air holes etc?
Maybe a disassembled photo?
Would like to have a go making one of these...

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
Hi All

Having spent the morning experimenting with the stove I have come to the conclusion that it is not going to be practical, when it is working it is great but it is very difficult to keep going correctly, adding fuel causes it to stop gassing and start smoking so it is on and off all the time.

Martin

Hi All

Having spent the morning experimenting with the stove I have come to the conclusion that it is not going to be practical, when it is working it is great but it is very difficult to keep going correctly, adding fuel causes it to stop gassing and start smoking so it is on and off all the time.

Martin

Ditto. Glad it's not just me as that's exactly my experience too. Too much hard work to operate.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I made a few of these before I purchased a fan powered one. I discovered having 1 large opening on the side wall base on the largest tin was better than having multiple holes around the side wall base as the air intake. I found you could twist the cooker in the direction of the wind to make it work better.
I was real shocked at what heat these produce when I burned some off cuts of oak in the garden, I wanted to see what difference a fan would make so I aimed a hair dryer in the single air inlet, the burning chamber was glowing red in seconds decided to put it on full blast to be a big kid, then it was glowing white! lol I'd guess it was an instant furnace/forge in minature...

I would recomend trying a larger single air intake approx 25mm is what I used you can always play around make it a slot ect . (you can also blow into it to aid lighting it or re-lighting).
I used more larger holes in the base of the burning chamber approx 5mm, than the top where the gas re-enters for combustion these were smaller to allow the gasses to build up and enter more consistantly approx 2mm.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE