Wood gas/forge stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
I am planning to make a wood gas/forge stove but after reading up on designs and such it seems that the tin can option tho viable is also very prone to damage as the material is soft/thin so corrosion will destroy it quickly to.

So anyway my main point of interest is a source of materials for this, any suggestions on some sort of vessels i could get cheaply to cut down/shape for this purpose?

Thanks in advance :)

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
Burn chamber 4-5 inches tall and 3-4 wide, once i locate something suitable for the burn chamber i can be more specific for overall dimensions.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ah-a bushbudy size stove. If you want it to last longer than a few burns then stainless is obviously the answer. A stainless vacuum flask will have the dimensions you are after. The cheap wilko flasks are quite substantial and hold up well. If you really want to make a powerful forge that will burn charcoal repeatedly without rusting through, you really need to track down some 310 stainless tube. If you struggle finding one, I have a few 'Frankenstein' flasks already chopped up for use that I could part with.

I have had success with lining normal tins with mica paper(mineral heat proof paper) and fire cement-they last for ages. Condensed milk tins are good as some have no lip at the bottom and have no corrugation-they will just drop into a suitable sized hole and seal. I have a fan powered condensed milk tin stove that will boil 2 gallons of water on a single fuel load and its now 2 years old and still going strong.

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
You have a PM :)

Im going to test with a fan directly below but protected from the ash then a PC exaust fan, problem with that is it will have to blow in from the side and i need to make it distribute the air more evenly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE