Wood carving tool question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have a nice old marples curved gouge. Quite long, about 16".
But its an incanel bevel.
It doesnt seem to have much application for bowls, kuksa's, carving, log building, bushcraft type stuff?
Im toying with the idea of whether I should turn it into an outcanel curved gouge.
Ive got a workzone bench grinder.

Will it work out ok Im wondering?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have that DVD. I cant remember seeing him use the incanal curved gouge. I'll have a look at it again. Thanks.

Photo here: Guessing 6-7 sweep? 1-1/8th"

Im not the greatest woodworker, but I do enjoy the bits I do. Its Long as well!

Marples Sheffield.

696815549_tp.jpg

696815425_tp.jpg

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think all the gouges would have been incannel and curved, in the first section he usees them on the inside of the bowl he has just adzed.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think all the gouges would have been incannel and curved, in the first section he usees them on the inside of the bowl he has just adzed.

Ive just put it in the dvd player and they are outcannel and curved.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Well Its a pattern makers gouge chisel and its curved. My point was about the bevel though.

There was a load of patternmakers tools for sale in my local secondhand place. I bought all the long paring chisels but not the incannel gouges. They were all marked up with the name R.Whitehouse, which I assume was their previous owner, they get a lot of house clearance stuff there so I assume the original owner is dead.
They were made by Thos Whales & Sons of Sheffield.

Its possible to convert an in-cannel gouge to an out-cannel gouge, there's a thread about it on Sawmill Creek

In-cannels are good for long straight cuts, but that's the sort of thing that routers do nowadays so are largely redundant. Also good for coping cuts to moldings.
Out-cannels are good for carving.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, its irritating as I basically bought the wrong thing. Might still come in handy though. Dont know if Im gonna grind it. Bit of a hassle really.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I ended up buying this lovely outcannel double hooped marples gouge chisel to match it

Can any wood carvers out there recommend me a nice mallet to use with the wood carving chisels?
Or if im gonna make one myself. Is oak a good wood to use? I have a bit of that which might do.

1.5" wide, 15.5" long

693016603_tp.jpg

693016552_tp.jpg

693016485_tp.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not always, often with chisels the steel is harder on the sharp side. Besides why bother? There are loads of lovely old chisels, gouges ect.

So far the ones I've seen that are harder on the cutting edge have always been the Japanese chisels, there might be some laminated British gouge chisels out there but I've not seen one yet.
Agreed on the second point though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE