wood carving books.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Does anyone know of a good book for a total begginer to learn wood carving from.
I want to make things such as totem poles, sculptures, etc...

Also, what tools should I get (cheap as poss).
Thanks.
Stu

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Does anyone know of a good book for a total begginer to learn wood carving from.
I want to make things such as totem poles, sculptures, etc...

Also, what tools should I get (cheap as poss).
Thanks.
Stu

One thing you can do is go to a bookstore or library and start leafing through books. When you find a book that has a project or two you feel comfortable trying, buy it. Magazines are the same. I often leaf through carving magazines on the newstand to see if they have a project I'd be interested in. There is also a lot of stuff on the internet you can find if you search hard enough.

Used bookstores are a good source for old carving books as well. If you are serious about carving, one book will never satisfy you, so used books are a cheap way to go. :)

As far as tools, I'd buy the tools as you need them, rather than buying a whole bunch at once.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Get yourself down your local library. They are so underused these days, pick a book on the subject you want and leaf through. Take a few and read them at your pleasure. Don't forget to return them on time or you'll get fined! Buy the ones you enjoyed and would like to own. Winner!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
One book I have with a Totem pole carving is "Carving Totem Poles & Masks" by Alan & Gill Bridgewater. But the best would be to look some up first, as already said. I bought a small set of 6 carving tools from Axminster, only 31.78 , I was a bit dubious, because cheap tools aren't normally very good I found. But those are surprisingly good quality steel, very sharp and so far holding a good edge. (Henry Taylor Super Sharp Set) Very good for small work.

Please don't be tempted to buy the very cheap sets you can sometimes find in places like Aldi. They really are poor quality and will put you off carving. One of my clients at work bought himself a set of 12 the other day, they were useless as they came out of the box,would have needed a sledge hammer to push them through the wood and I spent ages giving them a better shape and sharpening them for him. And even then they don't hold their edges.

Better a few really good ones that you learn to use well rather than lots of cheap ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE