wood carrier part 2 (The bike cart)

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi folks, This is the follow on from the wood carrying pack I made.

As its coming into winter the wood collecting has to increase alot.

I came up with the cart so that I can pull bigger logs and much more at one time.

316ax5c.jpg

The frame is made from an old steel Army issue bunk bed.The sides from battons from B+Q with stirling board panels.The wheels from an old bike that was not getting used.

30uy3vm.jpg

I decided to go for a drop down tail gate just to make it easier
loading/unloading the wood and made up 2 heavy duty catches to keep it secure.

ej5uv4.jpg

Th attaching arm was made by keeping one side of the frame long. I then bolted on a bent to shape steel chair leg, which was tedious as I had to get the measurements and angle just right so as to allow clearence for the back wheel.The end of the arm was hammered so the I could fit a D clasp through it.

The trickiest part was the bike attachment. I got a satallite dish holder and bent and grinded it to the shape needed.I drilled a hole so that it would fit over the wheel spindle and for extra strength a smaller hole was drilled so I could fit a bolt through the hole on the frame (that I think is used for putting on basket bracket). This was then bolted to the bike frame.

28w7yu.jpg

Next 2 holes were drilled at the right height and length to fit the long eye bolt and another bolt connected together with a jubilee clip. Then the D clasp goes through the eyebolt and there we have it.

b8v0ic.jpg

I had a few ideas from this place but had to adapt it to pull heavier loads and make it stronger overall.

http://www.howtofixbikes.ca/2006/07/big-homebuilt-el-cheapo-bicycle-cargo.html

When it has a full load it is surprisingly easy to pull and handles tight corners with ease.The good thing about this design is there is a very low torque rate and even if the bike falls over the attachment allows for this, preventing any breakages.

Collected so far minus 2 bags burnt already.

jrrwvp.jpg

33a59wn.jpg

thanks for looking

Craig

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Looks great! I made one similar for my gear when I went camping in northern France. It didn't have sides like yours does and the attachment to the bike wasn't so technical but they are good for carrying a load. Can I suggest some of those reflector thingies now it's going to get darker?

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Nice! Looks like a good sturdy bit of kit.
I built this trailer as my GCSE tech project last year for kit while camping and small amounts of wood I collect for carving etc (but no where near the same scale)
p1405101601.jpg
it has carried 40kg before but never had to try anything more.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
thanks guys,

Ged: Great idea I have some from the bike the wheels come from, I will get on to that straight away.

Woof: I try to do as much as I can When I can. As I havent learned to drive this is perfect for me.

Mike8472: The project before this one was a wood carrying backpack Link here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60908&highlight=

georann: Thats a nice little build mate, The heaviest thing that I know the weight for sure was my brother who is 12st and it was very easy pulling him along.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE