wood burner stove pipe fireproof patch!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Has anyone any good ways of making a patch to pass a stove pipe through a tent wall?
I have thought of fibreglass or fireblanket patch sewn onto the tent material but anyone have any better ideas ?
Stove pipe is 5inch diameter and tent material is coated nylon.

Cheers for any ideas.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Brendan said:
Has anyone any good ways of making a patch to pass a stove pipe through a tent wall?
I have thought of fibreglass or fireblanket patch sewn onto the tent material but anyone have any better ideas ?
Stove pipe is 5inch diameter and tent material is coated nylon.

Cheers for any ideas.

Top exit or side exit?

I would take out a patch about 10" square to start with and get a patch of canvas 14" square cut your hole in the centre of this and stitch a piece of fire blanket on each side then cut your hole in the centre and patch into your tent...

LS

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
In his book Song of the Paddle Bill Mason describes how he cuts a circular hole on a sheet of polythene, surrounds the hole with duct tape, then fixes on two metal rings which will allow the stove pipe through. The duct tape has to extend beyond the metal rings or the polysheet melts. It's page 37 in his book.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
You may also think about having a flap of material above the hole to cover it when not using the stove...

LS

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
why put a flap on it put a screen to keep bugs out also nice skylight plus when it rains bucket to catch water :D :D

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Thanks guys I,ve done it now with good results.
I used a double layer of fireblanket about 10x10inch cut a hole and sewed into my tepee had a full 3hr burn with no damage.

Brendan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE