Sold Wood Burner FourDog Ultra Light Titanium I Camp Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fursty Ferret

Oct 16, 2011
Oxford
FourDog Ultra Light Titanium I Camp Stove; this isn't a twig feeder nor a back straining lump - as used by trappers in Alaska, built tough/to last and to pump out the heat.

£417 all in (inc. PP/P&P)

Condition good BUT - has a 1.5” long 5mm at height of convex dent in it (see pictures/cosmetic only - not functional). There is also slight warping on the panels (top + sides), which is natural, comes with running these things throughout the night and doesn’t affect the performance.

Weighs <10lbs/4kg can be picked up with one finger on each (average) hand. ALL the 16”x3” piping, including the US Parks Approved Spark Arrestor, fit inside the stove for ease of transport – which means it can also hold a number of logs 16”x3” for that all night slow burn.

Was used in a Tentipi Safir 7. Has been used about 14 times.

Included:

Baffler

2 additional 16"x3” pipes over back in the day spec. 7 pipes in total

12"x3” Spark Arrestor (US Parks Service Approved)

Silicone Insert (designed for the pipes) for stitching into a tent wall.

*Please note: Although all riveting is - not all parts are titanium; basically the legs and a few bolts are not.

Attachments

• Birdseye..jpeg
    Birdseye..jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Front..jpeg
    Front..jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 41
  • Internal..jpeg
    Internal..jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Legs akimbo..jpeg
    Legs akimbo..jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Natural daylight..jpeg
    Natural daylight..jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Rear..jpeg
    Rear..jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Side Profile a (1).jpeg
    Side Profile a (1).jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Side Profile a (2).jpeg
    Side Profile a (2).jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 42
  • With Si Insert.jpeg
    With Si Insert.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Reactions: sgtoutback

Fursty Ferret

Oct 16, 2011
Oxford
Did you use a damper when using it through the chimney of the Tentipi?

Yes, the damper is in the picture that has all the pipes laid out and is situated to the viewer's left next to the spark arrestor. It's in the form shaped piece of titanium that fits into a slot in the first pipe and can be pushed in or pulled out to adjust.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I believe it was one of these exact stoves that I used on a winter course in Canada, three then two of us in a 6-man nylon tipi. We got quite a temperature gradient in that tent, should have stirred the air, this stove got the temperature at head height to 55degC while outside it was -10C. Was MUCH more effected than the flat-pack stove we started with. Properly nice kit!
Best of luck!

Fursty Ferret

Oct 16, 2011
Oxford
I believe it was one of these exact stoves that I used on a winter course in Canada, three then two of us in a 6-man nylon tipi. We got quite a temperature gradient in that tent, should have stirred the air, this stove got the temperature at head height to 55degC while outside it was -10C. Was MUCH more effected than the flat-pack stove we started with. Properly nice kit!
Best of luck!

Cheers, yeah, it certainly knocks the heat out. Did you enjoy Canada? Up in the Northern Territories? FourDog recommended learning to do a good pan fry-up over it (recommend outside the tipi) to get used to regulating the output. That exercise combined with its capacity meant we eventually got it running sweet through the night with frost or snow outside. Challenge was to get it so that you could still brew-up off it in the mornings with minimal effort - at that temp. you're happy to get up and everything's dry.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Yes, the damper is in the picture that has all the pipes laid out and is situated to the viewer's left next to the spark arrestor. It's in the form shaped piece of titanium that fits into a slot in the first pipe and can be pushed in or pulled out to adjust.

Oh sorry, I think I worded my question a bit wrong there (my native language is Dutch). I meant, did you put anything between the hot pipes and the actual fabric of the tipi to keep it from overheating? I just did another Google search and it is not called a damper but a 'pipe sleeve'. But thanks for the info on the damper, also good to know. Not wanting to get your hopes up too much but I'm in the market for a stove and I'm in the middle of my research ;)

Fursty Ferret

Oct 16, 2011
Oxford
That's no worries, I thought you may have meant that but went with the the translation over here.

I "did" have a length of aluminium sheet that had holes drilled into it and was then riveted. This fit over the piping and ran into the sleeve of the Tentipi. I found this less hassle than having the silicon insert sewed in to the vent and you also get a little bit of air flow which is nice. It remained in place with a couple of small/hooks and small/cheap chain on the spark arrestor. For the life of me I can't recall if it is in storage or if I disposed of it. I think I threw it out. It was modelled loosely on the Tentipi design.

For anyone interested: if you go to a local metal workers (usually found on industrial estates) you can buy a flat aluminium sheet about the length of a piece of the stove piping for c.£5.00 and they will usually punch the holes, roll it and rivet it for you for a bit more.
I understand titanium is difficult to roll and work with so costs more both for the material and the labour.
The rolled sheet should have a circumference that leaves about 13mm space around the pipe.
The holes save on weight and disperse heat.
Small hooks and chain can be got from a hardware store.
This is a big saving for anyone thinking about this sort of thing.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE