Wood bugs

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Last year I bought a beech wood supply from our local store. After some days a chewing sound started from the wood. After some other days I found these

Woodworm_2366562b.jpg

THis was not a problem until the started to gnaw my precious hazelnut staves. It seems the like expecially some types of wood (the dislike the Lebanon cedar, fortunately for my carving supply)

Any ideas about what are they and how to treat the wood?

Thanks

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Lovely little creatures. You probably don't need telling that they're beetle larvae, which is as specific as my minimal knowledge goes.

Cheers,
Leif

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Probably not common furniture beetle (anobium punctatum) but possibly Death Watch (Xestobium Rufovillosum) but my guess would be Powder post beetle (Hylotropes Bajulus), then again maybe bark borer (ernobius mollis). You need an expert! Italian beetles may be different.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I think it will be difficult go get rid of them. Some sealer to block oxygen to the wood might stop them dead, which is fine for furniture but a pain to apply to a wood stash (especially if your drying the wood). Something floating around my head from my childhood about treating wood with petroleum to get rid of them but I may be way way waaay wrong.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ohhhh :sigh: woodworm.
There are treatments to kill them, but you need to be very, very, careful with the stuff because it's very toxic. Be careful with the wood afterwards too, from personal experience I can say that dermatitis is a misery when caused by the organo phosphates :( applied to timber to kill woodworm.

http://www.safeguardeurope.com/applications/woodworm.php
....they kind of look like longhorn beetle larvae, but then there's a lot of white larvae with brown heads, so it really needs someone more familiar with the beasts.

Best of luck clearing it out.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE