Wood Advice

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have been given a few rings of Eucalyptus, not sure how green it is, it would have been kept outside but one bit is starting to split slightly. It is very heavy so I assume it is dense hard wood. Can I carve with this?

Also I need to cut back some Buddleia overhanging my depots yard and had a quick google and people have carved spoons from it. Has anyone any experience with it?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Use the buddleia as fire drill spindles. Its a rubbish wood IMO but great for fire by friction

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
You can carve Eucalyptus but it has a habit of cracking radially as it tends to grow with a twisted grain to it. If it's heavy then chances are its either still mainly green or that it's been left somewhere damp and got water logged. Dry Eucalyptus isn't a heavy wood at all.
Makes pretty good firewood :)

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
You can carve Eucalyptus but it has a habit of cracking radially as it tends to grow with a twisted grain to it. If it's heavy then chances are its either still mainly green or that it's been left somewhere damp and got water logged. Dry Eucalyptus isn't a heavy wood at all.
Makes pretty good firewood :)

I think that is where ita going to end up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE