Wonderful fiddle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
ah yes, she has her own youtube channel, she's called the hot violinist, it's easy to see what her unique selling point is. When I was researching violin/fiddle playing prior to buying one, her channel came up a lot, she is actually a very good teacher

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Awesome music.

Toddy whats the first tune on the dulcimer , it sounds like an irish song my dad used to sing. My dads version changed the lyrics from the normal version to be funnier and more "mum safe". It would be interesting to know if the scots had version that was safe.

I listened to band last Saturday playing celtic pipe s and mandolin.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Last edited:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I like fiddle music :D JDLenton plays for us at the Moot at times :D it's brilliant :cool:

I've been listening to Hammer Dulcimer recently though; my Grandpa used to play on one for us, and it has always been a delight to hear.
Dick Glasgow plays the kind of tunes my Grandpa did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv57bJanjxc

atb,
Mary

lady in the folk orchestra I'm in occasionally brings a hammered dulcimer, really nice sound. I think she finds it a pain to haul around though, which is why she mostly plays low whistle. Guess you wouldn't want to knock it and get it out of tune either, looks like tuning is not a 1 minute job like fiddle or guitar.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
A friend of mine bought a fairly large hammered dulcimer she gave to me to fix up. Took me hours to tune it when I'd finished the woodwork! It was a three course model and I think it takes longer to tune the buggers than to play them!

Another friend lent me his old harp (clarsach) to play with and that was almost as bad to tune. When you got to the one end you started again at the other, like painting the Forth Bridge!

The other problem I had trying to play the harp is that I need reading classes. Sounds daft now but if I wore them, I could see the strings close to my face but not the lower notes further away. Take them off and I had the opposite problem!

I will stick to my several squeezeboxes and mandolins, banjos etc!

Gareth

xylaria

I had an autoharp which I gave away. I found it a nightmare to tune and I hated that it wasnt chromatic. I play tenor guitar, uke and I made a mandolele out of a really bad half size kids guitar. Changed the six awful machines to four working ones and the bridge to a uke and tuned it to g3d3a3e4. So I can play mando chords like I do on the tenor. It fits in a rucksack and it didnt cost so much that I am precious about it. It takes the the top four strings of a normal acoustic guitar.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a knack to the tuning, and once you have it, for either the clarsach or the dulcimer, then it's relatively quick to do.
Tune on the right, and adjust on the left, or so I mind being told.
Some folks do all the A's then all the D's….etc., it can kind of balance the stress across the whole instrument as you tune, and means that you don't need to run through them again when the first tune up is finished.
Folk get their ear in for the tuning too, so it becomes quicker.

They used to be home made things around here. Miners played them; they couldn't afford a fiddle, but they could make a dulcimer. They were known here long before the industrial revolution though, and then when that was in full swing and in came Irish labourers, and then the Polish and Lithuanians fleeing war at home….and they too had dulcimers of different kinds and similar. Much like the range that the American's have in their folk instruments.

M

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice.

A fan of another violinist, Lucia Micarelli.

Here she's is playing violin with Leigh Nash singing a Canadian folk song.

[video=youtube;2ec841Ris1o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ec841Ris1o[/video]

She also does a really good Kashmir & Bohemian Rhapsody covers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE