wistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 13, 2008
leeds
i am intrested in makiing a good loud whistle to use for calling my hawk i have made a cuple in the pase but never turned out quite rite lol any tips
chears

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
At the bushmoot the year before last, Mors showed how to make a whistle from a thin strip of aluminium. I've made them from the metal from a coke can, but a bit thicker is better.

You basically take a long rectangle of flat metal and bend it back and forth until it breaks and so you have two pieces about 1/3 and 2/3 length.

You then bend the short piece around the long piece to form the "whistly" part and bend the long piece to form the chamber. The finished result is like a pea whistle without sides on the chamber. You use finger and thumb to form the sides and blow into it.

They're surprising effective, very loud and a lot easier to make than my instructions imply! :rolleyes: A photo would help a lot - I'll try and sort one tonight.

Alternatively, you can make whistles from wood or antler. I've made a few. It's all about experimentation, trying different sizes of chamber for different notes. I've not made anything that would content with any of the commercial whistles available though.

This pic may help. It's the only example I could find knocking about. Ignore the furry looking metal, there was some sort of paper coating glued on. HTH.

whistle.jpg

May 13, 2008
leeds
At the bushmoot the year before last, Mors showed how to make a whistle from a thin strip of aluminium. I've made them from the metal from a coke can, but a bit thicker is better.

You basically take a long rectangle of flat metal and bend it back and forth until it breaks and so you have two pieces about 1/3 and 2/3 length.

You then bend the short piece around the long piece to form the "whistly" part and bend the long piece to form the chamber. The finished result is like a pea whistle without sides on the chamber. You use finger and thumb to form the sides and blow into it.

They're surprising effective, very loud and a lot easier to make than my instructions imply! :rolleyes: A photo would help a lot - I'll try and sort one tonight.

Alternatively, you can make whistles from wood or antler. I've made a few. It's all about experimentation, trying different sizes of chamber for different notes. I've not made anything that would content with any of the commercial whistles available though.

This pic may help. It's the only example I could find knocking about. Ignore the furry looking metal, there was some sort of paper coating glued on. HTH.

whistle.jpg
chears m8 u have made them be foe but ther not rite for the job lol pluss i have cut my lips a cuple of times to lol chears any way m8

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE