Wisport zipperfox review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I thought I'd write a review on the wisport zipperfox 25L rucksack, seeing as I've owned it for a year or two and I've put it through many day trips to the woods and hills, and through plenty of foul weather along the way.

For those who aren't familiar with it, it is a 25L clam shell opening pack, with molle on the sides, front and top (and a bit on the inside), and straps that allow fixing of items to the underside. It has compression side straps too. Inside the pack are a handful of zipped pockets for organisation of smaller items, as well as a patch of molle. It is made of Cordura 500 nylon and weighs in at 1.75 kg - this is without any additional pouches. In contrast a similar sized osprey pack comes in at 1.25 kg.

I bought this because I wanted a day pack that was different to the usual 'hiking' packs that I have owned in the past, and I wanted in particular to try out a clamshell opener and the molle system. I don't have much to say about the clam shell aspect other than that it works fine, but isn't all that useful to me. But let me get this first point out of the way: it is without doubt the most robust pack I've ever owned. I just can't conceive of ever damaging it. The zip is solid - I've never feared it popping open even when over stuffed. There's not a stitch out of place. The material will withstand any amount of thorns, rock scrapes and the like. I've taken it out in heavy, prolonged rain and the inside has remained dry, with no water penetrating the zips. Zips could be waterproofed with bees wax, but I've not had to. Nor have I felt the need to use the rain cover.

The price you pay for all this is the weight. From a practical point of view this maybe doesn't matter, simply because a pack of its size will never be that heavy when fully loaded. Additionally, it has a very comfortable load carrying system. I've had it loaded full of gear - fishing gear, stove and pan, water etc. - and the hip belt just takes the weight away. It is very comfortable. But somehow, it just feels like it shouldn't be that heavy. I would have preferred a lighter nylon. The quality of stitching is what I worry about in a product, and as I said, in the zipperfox, it is spot on.

So what about the molle? I had a bit of trouble finding decent pouches that fitted well and looked sensible. In the end I've settled for a miltec pouch that comfortably holds a 1L bottle on one side, and a 2.5L brandit pocket on the other side that holds a kettle and alcohol stove setup. You could comfortably take the pack to 30 L, possibly a bit more. The problem is that all of this takes it to 2 kg, and the pouches come at a cost too, making it an expensive setup overall. The pouches as a system work well, and having a dirty pot and methanol outside the main pack is great. The good thing about molle side pockets is that they don't take up any interior space when fully loaded, i.e. they don't push into the pack itself. But I do find myself wishing for an elasticated mesh side pocket for easier access to the water bottle. It is also all a bit on the fussy side.

Overall verdict? It is undoubtedly a high quality, comfortable rucksack, fit for bushcraft, hiking or any other outdoor activity. I really, really like it, and I almost love it. Almost. Perhaps I will love it if I find the perfect set of side pouches. If I had to choose again, would I go for something like an osprey? Probably, but there's really not much in it.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Sorry for not replying sooner. This website https://airsoft-milsim-news.com/review-wisport-zipperfox-25/
has a review with plenty of pictures. I've added on a Miltec canteen pouch which holds a nalgene style bottle. It's a rubbish pouch but I added some shock cord running across the body of the pouch, diagonally, which renders the whole thing somewhat elasticated and it does what I want it to do. On the other side I have a brandit fire molle pouch. This brings the whole thing up to around 28L at a guess. I could add more but then it starts to look a bit over the top. I've had the pack a while now. Still not a thread out of place.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
I used one of these for about 12 months a few years back and was very pleased with it, I only ended up selling it to fund another pack (something of a habit of mine :whistling: ) but couldn’t fault the construction.
I used to occasionally attach a Camelbak bottle pouch to the side using the PALS webbing, hopefully this link will work, not the best photo but the only one I can find with the pouch attached.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMg6x2Nge6U/?utm_medium=share_sheet

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Whilst I like the idea of a Clamshell design and I'd happily pay good money for a bombproof pack the niggle I have is that it seems quite a serious chunk of money for what is a small litre day sack?

I maybe tight but it just seems a bit pricey.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Whilst I like the idea of a Clamshell design and I'd happily pay good money for a bombproof pack the niggle I have is that it seems quite a serious chunk of money for what is a small litre day sack?

I maybe tight but it just seems a bit pricey.
Yes, it is not cheap. Can't argue with that. Even less cheap once you factor in additional molle pouches. But I had a molle and clamshell itch that I had to scratch...
For the woods it's great as you can drag it through any amount of brambles and whatnot without it coming to harm. For mountains I'd go for a conventional pack on balance. Particularly in winter, I'd worry about zips freezing up.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE