Wireless routers!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I've spent the last week trying to get a Belkin wireless router running and its driving me bonkers. It will connect to my computer, it will connect to the internet with the ASDL (I dunno either) cable. Soon as that cable is gone it will give me "limited connectivity" , says it has a strong signal with my computre but just won't connect to my ISP.

It was given me second hand by a mate . I'm giving up with it I reckon unless one of you boffins can suggest aything. Failing that, anyone recommend a router that sets up easily with Talk Talk?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
They are a bugger to set up! I had one and it went all funny on me and in the end bought a net gear one. Very easy to set up and no prob's. Cant comment on Talk Talk.
I know whats the matter with yours it was the same as mine its that number thingy you have to put in but cant remember how I was told to do it!!! Someone will tell you here.
Dave

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I had the same trouble with a Belkin. Even got a bloke in to set it up. He eventually took mine away and gave me his.

Mine worked no problem on his machine.:confused:

Try another make, it might just be a conflict with somat on your box.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is your laptop setup with the same wireless details as the router ?

Click on Start, then Run, then in the box type cmd, you should get a black DOS screen, type ipconfig /all and press enter

What do you get ?

Sorry if I`m teaching you to suck eggs

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It sounds as if you do not have the WAP secuirity set up. Do you have the shared password for both the Router and PC

blodyntatws

Jan 9, 2009
North Wales
Hi
A Dlink router works really well in this old stone house. Very easy to set up too. Bit pricey though between 70 and 120 quid depending on what PC world are offering.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Not very familiar with all this hi tech stuff, recently changed internet provider and had a call to let me know that a wireless router was on its way , was landed to think i was being sent a new toy for my shed as a freebie, the guy then explained it was not that type of router.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I've got the password set up, etc , the computer connects to the router no problem and the router will connect to t'internet provided the cable from computer to router is in connected. When the cable isn't connected , my computer will still link in with the router but gives "limited connectivity" which translates an no connection to internet, despite the lights on the router indicating otherwise.

I spent half an hour on the phone to Belkin customer support today , very helpful but couldn't sort it. Talk Talk on the other hand were less than helpful and way into rude!

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
what firewall are you using, you will have differant settings for LAN and WLAN, you could tr disableing it temporarily and see if you can connect to internet then.

if you use ipconfig, you will get the address of you default gateway, i.e your router type this in the address bar in your browser and you can connect dirrectly to your router (best using the cable to do this) you can then check all settings etc. I have a belkin and was very happy with it, set up in no time even with the dreaded talk talk isp.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I had a Belkin router, and it was a complete nightmare, especially with our satellite modem. We now have an Apple Airport, which couldn't be simpler to setup, and just works.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Ok, I just gave up.

Thanks to Shewie and others for their help. I really appreciate it.

I just spent another hour on the phone to Belkin, excellent customer support , the guy really did his best but the damned contraption just doesn't want to play for some reason. My Ip addresses are correct, the firewall is off and its just getting on my nerves . If the professional can't figure it out, I'm stumped too.

Where did I leave my trusty cricket bat?......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you really want it working Sean stick it in the post and I`ll sort it out for you, if you`re not bothered reach for the bat.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
When you say you "I've got the password set up" do you have a code on a file that will be called MD5 Key?

I have a belkin. It requires a code called an md5 key. Its about 8 or 13 digits long. I think it was on a file that came on the install disc and saved a file on my pc where I can copy and paste it into the wep key field.

From what I can gather this key is what secures the wirless connection. Without it, it will still say the PC and router are connected but wont transmit any data which is what you are getting. This is also why it will work with a cable because the key is only concerned with wep (securing the wireless)
I believe the lack of the MD5Key could be the issue here. IF, it is and you haven't got this code your friend will possibly have it saved somehwere on his pc still.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When you say you "I've got the password set up" do you have a code on a file that will be called MD5 Key?

I have a belkin. It requires a code called an md5 key. Its about 8 or 13 digits long. I think it was on a file that came on the install disc and saved a file on my pc where I can copy and paste it into the wep key field.

From what I can gather this key is what secures the wirless connection. Without it, it will still say the PC and router are connected but wont transmit any data which is what you are getting. This is also why it will work with a cable because the key is only concerned with wep (securing the wireless)
I believe the lack of the MD5Key could be the issue here. IF, it is and you haven't got this code your friend will possibly have it saved somehwere on his pc still.

Can`t he just create a new WEP key Dan ? I`ve not seen this particular router before so I don`t know.

Can`t he just create a new WEP key Dan ? I`ve not seen this particular router before so I don`t know.

Should be able to - I've got a Belkin router and set it up myself. With a patch cable attached to the router type 192.168.2.1 into a web browser and it should give the router interface (the IP might be different, but its probably the same). This will give access to all the security settings.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Yep, I did that a couple of days ago.

I've brought up the Belkin user interface, set up a 64 bit WEP security key and Bob should be my uncle. Unfortunately he seems to be more of a confused aunt right now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE