Wire saws

I've noticed there are a few wire saws around. I bought any old one recently and while hacking through some wood with it (probably mis-using it a bit technique wise to be honest) it broke. Since then I've noticed there are some subtle differences between some of them.

Assuming I'm not going to get one of those fancy looking chainsaw things, what's the difference between different wire saws (if anything) and which is the best (best at cutting and most durable)?

See these links for the 2 main ones I can think of.
http://web-tex.co.uk/accessories/web-tex-wire-saw/prod_1389.html
http://www.militarykit.com/products/military_accessories/commando_wire_saw.htm

See the differences?
One has longer swivels, slightly longer loops around the rings and flat rings which overlap like a key ring.
The other has shorter swivels and loops and what (from the picture) looks like a more rounded ring.

So, is there anything more than just a cosmetic difference there? Now it isn't going to be an impulse buy I'm giving it a touch more thought.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Have to agree with Rik. All the wire saws I've tried have failed.
Much better with a pocket chainsaw or a bowsaw blade and a couple of bolts stored in your billycan to make a rustic bowsaw.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The main cause of breakage in a wire saw is putting too much pressure on the "blade" at too tight an angle.
If you use them as a bow saw (think bow as in bow drill) with a largish bow they are a vey good bit of kit and don't break,of the two above I use the militarykit one as it is a bit thicker than the webtex one and much better quality.Bear in mind that these are designed as survival items and you shouldn't expect a lifetimes use from them.I have had mine for a few years now and it is still going strong.
Remember let the saw do the work dont use excess pressure and try and keep the saw as near to straight as possible this way all the stress is along the straight blade rather than going through an angle which, with the heat of sawing will harden the blade and snap it.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Ditto all the advice above. Have had a few and they all broke, then someone showed me how to use one as a bow saw. It still broke, but it did last longer than previously. I don't bother with them now, but do carry a Laplander folding saw every time out in the woods.
Suits my needs much better.

Simon

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Pocket chainsaws are ok for cutting stuff out of reach, with long cord/rope handles. But definately would prefer a bowsaw for other stuff.

Has any tried a blade from a pole saw? Would be easier to make up a handle, as the saw blade is wider, and doesn't need to be tensioned. Use them cutting stuff overhead, but not tried with stuff close up.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Has any tried a blade from a pole saw? Would be easier to make up a handle, as the saw blade is wider, and doesn't need to be tensioned. Use them cutting stuff overhead, but not tried with stuff close up.

i use polesaws all the time at work, the reson they dont need to be tentioned is because they only cut on the pull stroke. instead of getting a blade and improvising a handle why not just get a sheath saw?

these are very good http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/sheathed/gomtaro.html but cheeper saws are avalable

pete

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
The wrst wire saw i ever owned was a single strand saw with small barbs cut in(if you see what i mean). it was so brittle it broke on first use. i cant find any pics though.
George

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
the worst thing about wire and pocket chainsaws is that you cannot hold what your working on because you need both hands to use it. also they are not efficient at all, i have one of these http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/ which is suposed to be one of the best and i still find it hopeless! its not sharp at all even when new:eek: and its a real workout just cutting through a 2 inch peice of chestnut. its not so bad when your cutting when the wood is still attached to a tree but when its loose you have to step on it and bend over to cut it which realy does your back in.
my advice is to stick with folding/sheath or bowsaws

pete

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
the worst thing about wire and pocket chainsaws is that you cannot hold what your working on because you need both hands to use it. also they are not efficient at all, i have one of these http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/ which is suposed to be one of the best and i still find it hopeless! its not sharp at all even when new:eek: and its a real workout just cutting through a 2 inch peice of chestnut. its not so bad when your cutting when the wood is still attached to a tree but when its loose you have to step on it and bend over to cut it which realy does your back in.
my advice is to stick with folding/sheath or bowsaws

pete

Yeah, why I only found them useful for high branches. Then need two people, one on each handle.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Stewart put up a good post regarding these earlier this year he pointed out that the wire saw was designed for concealment and to be used as tool when escaping from capture and therefor for use on dry timber planks, posts etc. and not green wood.

Pothunter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE