Wire saws

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Tidying up I found an old, and broken, wire saw, picked up cheap when I was much younger. I remember using it once, when it broke over the peice of wood I was trying to cut. But it got me thinking. Are there any wire saws that are worth the money? that work as a saw?

Julia

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'v not had one since I was a boy but the only ones that seem even half usable are the chainsaw type ones....anyone had one?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got one of the chainsaw ones, its blunter than a blunt thing that's blunt, & its hard work !, you are far better off with a folding saw. The chainsaw ones I think make you want to tackle stuff that's way to big for you, it did me !.

Rob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wire saws - used carefully and in the manner they were intended - not as most folk actually use them - (ie used in a frame or used by two folk at once to keep the wire taught and straight - NOT one end in each hand folded almost in half... Not on soft woods but on bone or hard woods, not fast and furious but slowly so as not to overheat the wires) can actually work.

But they work no where near as well as folding saws!
And folding saws work no where near as well as a good Bowsaw :D

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I used one quite a bit when I was younger (25 years ago!). Still have it as well as it never broke. As John says, slowly and taught on hard wood works ok. But really only useful in mini kits as even a cheap pruning saw is better!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE