Wire saw brand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I've messed around with a wiresaw in the past, very compact, light and efficient, but sadly very delicate. It was only a generic thing as seen in outdoor shops all over, and quickly snagged and unwound.

Are there any reliable types that I havn't seen yet please?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've never heard of a good one. Someone did say if you shorten them they work better. There are the chain type ones too which are supposed to be better than wire saws.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
I've never heard of a good one. Someone did say if you shorten them they work better. There are the chain type ones too which are supposed to be better than wire saws.

Stay away from the chainsaw type. They require a vast amount of energy to use, mainly because you are taking away so much wood with the cut. The only job I have found for mine is removing burls from trees (on my own trees!). After much outlay and many hours of frustration I have concluded that there really is no substitute for a good saw. Until they invent a real light sabre that is.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Look out for a WW2 commando/saboteurs saw.

They are just about the best link saw going.

With two people it went through a 4" piece of beech with no trouble at all

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've messed around with a wiresaw in the past, very compact, light and efficient, but sadly very delicate. It was only a generic thing as seen in outdoor shops all over, and quickly snagged and unwound.

Are there any reliable types that I havn't seen yet please?

Efficient? Must be something different to the type I used years ago. :D I'm pretty sure I still have a couple in a tin somewhere.

They're a waste of time!

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Stay away from the chainsaw type. They require a vast amount of energy to use, mainly because you are taking away so much wood with the cut. The only job I have found for mine is removing burls from trees (on my own trees!). After much outlay and many hours of frustration I have concluded that there really is no substitute for a good saw. Until they invent a real light sabre that is.

Really? I seem to remember using one on a passaround here years ago and found it ok to use. Even easier if used as a straight saw if I remember correctly. (use a branch to make a frame)

It was a long time back though when I was younger and fitter! :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Used a cheap one before and all it did was destroy my fingers, it was the type with 2 key ring loops on the end!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Try your local farm suppler they sell wire for dehorning cattle, just cut it to length.

Reminds me of my old neighbour who used to collar me to help him dehorn calves. I always expected a waist high animal but they were shoulder height and a bit lively!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I cant say that I have seen a decent wire saw, regardless of the brand on the packet the contents is the same. Would be OK in a survival tin, like every school boy had after getting Lofties book :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The rings are for notches cut in to a piece of springy bent wood to create a bows lol. RTFM ;0)

yup I have seen (only in media)it done with chainsaw types and just rip saw/bow saw blades. If your not going to find a necessity for a saw though, its alot to carry for a slim chance of use, the wire is just so small, but hideously unreliable, and probably only any good on greenwood. Thanks anyway.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just wear a bow saw blade gaffa taped to the inside of your belt or be posh an have a belt made that has a second length to hold one.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE