Winter 'Woodsman' tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Hi
Introducing the Winter 'woodsman' tarp

d4429d39.jpg

Last week I spent 4 days touring around and wild camping on the Norfolk Broads by canoe. Prior to going I acquired a Tatonka 4 TC tarp and sewed loops etc. to make a Northwest 'Woodsman' style tarp as described elsewhere on this site; however as a twist I adapted it for winter use by adding a canvas front triangle and stove jack to use my woodburner inside it. Happy to report it was a 'roaring' success and certainly the way to go for winter expeditions. For 4 nights I was toasty and warm and even had a quick lite up first thing in the morning to warm the tarp and heat water for breakfast. Selection of pictures below and a link to the full album

d025491d.jpg

e07ac4c6.jpg

7d54a018.jpg

d9c04100.jpg

Nigel

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
That looks really interesting how much room do you have inside with the stove there as well?

Plenty. I angled the stove so the long side was nearly parallel to the back wall. I had a chair and camp bed inside with all my kit including a fishing box/wannigan. Bed time I had room to pull the camp bed away from the back wall and have sufficient clearance away from the stove.

Nigel

Looks like a great set up, I like it.
I've often fancied making a similar trip myself, as I'm not far from the broads. But I was always been warned off by people saying there aren't any wild camping areas in the broads, and that the local wardens (or whatever they are called) are very vigilant. (But maybe that's just in the hight of the summer).
Do you mind me asking, were you "stealth camping"? As it's not a very low profile set up with a tall white shelter, chimney, smoke, canoe by the water etc. Maybe you just stuck to really quiet back waters?
Either way, quite jealous of your trip.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Hi
No hardly stealthy. We saw the Broads patrol boats and they did not even ask about licences for the canoes. We had two of these set ups in the group, 2 tents and a hammock!! We camped in woodland mostly and actually the tarps blended better into the grey winter skyline than the tents. We've done a few nights on the Broads wild camping and never had a problem. If dirty great hire boats can moor up and discharge sweaty, football shirted heathens onto the banks can't really see how a low impact discreet camp can be a problem. I say go for it. I can PM some camp spots if you want them?

Nigel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE