Windproof smock + waterproofing, or goretex jacket. Cheap is the key

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
I do realize this has been done quite a bit, and I have looked at quite a few threads and webpages... But I have little access to the internet these days, and i'm still not too sure. So here be my situation. Hitchhiking around the UK at the moment. Have an Austrian goretex M65 with me. It's a wee bit heavy, and a little tight - and thus isn't too swell for layering. Especially with my wool pullover. So while I adventure from town to town (in Orkney at the moment, soon to be on my way to skye via west coast, btw), i'm looking for an alternative. If I can trade the m65, the better. So I have been looking at the DPM goretex jackets. Apparently the best stuff to get is post-soldier 95 in that regard? The prices seem pretty high on that stuff, however. I've also read up on the windproof smocks, and they seem popular, especially when treated with nikwax? (no idea about that stuff, either). I would assume they would be heavier, though? It appears you can find them decently cheaper than the goretex stuff, though. The Austrian M65 has a poly/cotton outer, so when it rains it soaks through that, THEN hits the goretex... And it takes a good while to dry. Not too great for backpacking. So that's my little dilemma. Any help appreciated!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Per soldier 95 was heavier duty thicker goretex I thought, I think mine is a pattern 94 which has chest pockets. The later stuff is technically a liner. I love windproofs, they are my go to item, but not in wet weather, you could get a both an windproof and a goretex, the British goretex is fairly light no frills.

Jackdaw

Just remember that when you stick your thumb out at the side of the road, the less you look like a serial killer the more likely you are getting picked up.

I would avoid anything DPM if you want to get picked up.;)

Jack

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Just remember that when you stick your thumb out at the side of the road, the less you look like a serial killer the more likely you are getting picked up.

I would avoid anything DPM if you want to get picked up.;)

Jack

I am hoping that was the old way of thinking and now people support our troops so it may be an advantage to wear DPM

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK

I wear that hockey mask because it stops chips from my chainsaw going in my face... The choke doesn't work which is why I carry it around with the engine running...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If tours has two chest pickets, rank tab an elasticated cuffs its a pol suit top, triple layerd mvp and a dam good top.

Per soldier 95 was heavier duty thicker goretex I thought, I think mine is a pattern 94 which has chest pockets. The later stuff is technically a liner. I love windproofs, they are my go to item, but not in wet weather, you could get a both an windproof and a goretex, the British goretex is fairly light no frills.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The windproof smock, when treated will only be lightly water repellant, it wont keep persistent rain out for very long. It will however dry fairly quickly. A goretex jacket would be better for persistent rain, the later version of the S95 dpm goretex does have chest pockets, but is still fairly light and compact

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
Haha thanks for the replies guys. My OD jacket hasn't affected my rides negatively! some people pick me up because they said I look like a squadie, as you say here! (am ex military btw)

Might just stick it out with this one till it gets wrecked or I find a lovely deal on a lighter, roomier jacket... I can't resist military gear when I travel, dangit.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I love the MVP DPM jacket and wish you could get a non- DPM one!

An alternative on eBay is the RAF MVP jacket / trousers. The trousers are pretty much the same but without the elasticated leg cuffs. The jackets are better in some areas such as more pockets but have no hoods! Both in navy blue you can wear them without looking like your "army barmy" however as the jacket has no hood you will need a hat and in pouring rain you are going to get some water down the collar. I have both the RAF set and the army set and both are good but the lack of hood means I don't wear the RAF one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE