Wind chimes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Iv'e always loved them, especially the metal tuned ones. Anyway i was at a garden center this afternoon ( peebes or something ) and i should have left my credit card at home. I was seeing if they do sheds but they don't. i thought i'd take a look around as they have birds, rabbits and loads of eye candy for the slipper bearing patio dweller :D . As i walked past a stand of wind chimes a gust of wind blew in from a nearby open door...WOW!
that was it!, i was fixated for the next 10 minutes as different scales and notes filled my ears.
2 different chimes and a whole lot more than i should be spending later i have been listening to them for most of the afternoon on and off as they were hanging above my open back door. Iv'e taken them down so the neighbours can get some sleep.

Anyone else like wind cimes?
here is a great site that lets you listen to most of the 300 odd they sell :lmao: . Oh man i'm sad i know but they constantly suprised me this afternoon. the wind is a great composer.
http://www.windchime.com/

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Know what you mean! I have a set rigged up by my outdoor fire place and I could sit there on the tree stump for hours with my fire, the chimes and a good cup of tea.
:rolleyes:

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Tengu said:
<unclenches fists and counts to ten slowly...>
They can be quite invasive to others if sited improperly. Do you have neighbours that leave them banging on all night then?

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I love wind chimes, although I prefer the mellower tones that wood gives.
They're great in the woods where they catch all those little breezes and drafts.

Hmmm... :thinkerg:

This gives me an idea:
Check out my (soon to be posted) new thread in the DIY section. :D

EDIT: New thread posted

I don't like the little tinkly windchimes, they drive me round the bend. I do however have two sets of longer chimes, with the shortest being a foot long and the longets being about four foot long and they sound superb. I think I know the ones Bilko is on about as my local garden centre does some as well, including a ludicrously expensive wind gong that may cost loads, but sounds awsome :D

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I do like the little tinkly windchimes :) ,the thin slices of geode that you hang indoors, they're so close that you can't walk across a room without it making a noise.
Outdoor ones tend to drive me up the wall.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
They're OK.

Brought one back from Bali made of bamboo, has a nicer, softer tone than metal tubes, but the whole thing is too small and a strong gust can wrap the clapper round the tubes too easily.

I'd like to build one out of tall gas bottles, like the tall oxygen or propane bottles (around 4' or 5' tall).

I've seen bells made of divers' bottles, and they have such a sweet, long resonance when struck with a hardwood mallet...

K.

There used to be one in a shop in Bournemouth that was made from 5" o/d aluminium tubing and the longest bell was about 8' long, it sounded stunning. One trick to soften the sound on the metal ones is to whittle a shallow groove around the clapper and put a rubber o ring or even a thickish elastic band on to it. Totally changes the note to a much softer sound.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think bigger is definitely better with wind chimes. My Dad has a large bamboo one and that sounds great!

I might try making one with a mix of metal and wood. Could be interesting....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE