Willow rods to tough rope in seconds

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Apologies for lack of photos but today I have twisted up several dozen willow rods into supper tough flexible rope. It's something I have known about for years and seen demonstrated but never done. It is very quick and easy.
Take a fast grown willow rod maybe three feet long. Stand on the fat end. Take a strong grip near the thin end with your right hand and about a foot away with your left. Now bend your rod so your hands are effectively holding a crank, imagine holding both pedals of a bike. Use the crank to wind the rod up putting lots of twist into it. As the fibres separate the rod changes to rope. Once you have lots of twist in it grab both ends and pull it back and two over a branch or something to make it more supple.
A rod the thickness of my little finger makes a cord that will hold far more than my own weight.[SUP][/SUP]

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have no shortage of Willow to try this with. I am aiming to make traditional willow hurdles however.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That 'cranking' is what we do to make willow for wrapping around handles and the like.

Have you found a way of joining on other rods to make a continuous length ?

cheers,
Toddy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I know that as withies (sp) and have used hazle too
Would be interested if you managed to join some together like Toddy says

Cheers

Mark

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
We have not needed to join them, we are using them to stitch a bronze age boat replica together, the original stitches were yew but for the museum display willow was opted for.

forestwalker

I usually make them from willow or birch here. Good for both small and big stuff (collars for cows used to be made from them!). Also very good in a bushcraft/survival situation to tie things together in a shelter: good if you are short on cordage, and if you leave it it will all decay away, no polyester/nylon/iron left behind...

I've even seen old packframes with birch (I think) withys as shoulder straps!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If you crank them while still growing, you don't have to stand on the end.

When twisted up, cut cut them and they are ready to use.

Withies was always what I knew them as and when they are used to bind something then allowed to dry in place they are very strong indeed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE